Your opinion on this tank

ricwilli

Can you please give me your opinion on this used 220 gallon tank. It is about a year old and is a Perfecto tank. It has four 1 inch holes drilled on the back glass. One on each top corners for the overflow and two in the middle for the returns. I'm a little concern about the silicone seams. If you look close enough, you can see that it is peeling off on the outside of the seams not in between the glass joints. So what do you think? Dim: 72x24x30.

IMG_3060.jpg

IMG_3062.jpg

yea it looks like the silicone is a little iffy but you can just re-seal it. Its very easy thing to do just go to home depot and get some clear silicone put some in the corners right over the old silicone and use your finger fo fill it in its very very easy to do. Other then that the tank looks fine to me.

Looks like a really nice tank, if you are concerned about the silicone seals then either put some more silicone over it or peel it off completely and re do the silicone ... very easy, I have made tanks myself before.

If the seams are solid, then scrape off the excess and redo a bead on the outside and inside. It shouldn't take you more than an hour at the slowest pace and the security you will have will have you sleeping easy at night.

I'd probably get new bulk fittings too, just for security. IMO

Whats the price?

I would probably re-seal the tank (as others have said, its easy) and adjust the bulkheads. I would also use all 4 bulkheads as drains and put the returns over the side.

I think it's too deep. I have a 24" and hate it most of the time. JMO of course. If the price was right, I would buy it even if it was 36" deep! Guess thats the addiction we all have.
tom

I agree also, get a razor and remove the old silicone, then reseal. The bulkheads look rather small for a 220, are those 3/4" or 1"? I would take them apart and reseal them too, probably the rubber gaskets are old.

You can use GE Silicone II from the hardware store, but only the "Window & Door" kind; bathroom/kitchen silicone is treated with antimicotics to prevent mold and is highly toxic to your tank's inhabitants, be extremely careful.

If you buy the silicone at your fish store you'll be safe too but to seal that 220 you'll need a small fortune, don't think for a second you'll get away with 4 or 5 tubes.

Thanks everyone. Your opinion is greatly appreciated. The bulkheads are 1". If I get the tank, I was thinking of making the holes bigger. I was also thinking about the Calfo Overflow. Though making all the holes as overflow is not a bad idea. Resealing the tank shouldn't be to bad. The tank is less than $1000. By the way.... I will be using the Aquactinics Constellation light fixture. The fixture has 14x39watts T5's. I will also have a 2-3" DSB.

Wow nice tank! And drilled already!?? A one inch line makes 650 gph child's play. Multiply that by 4 and it is 2600 gph tank thruput. And that is circulation to the sump without powerheads. Of course ya use the holes as drains. The overpipes work better for returns because they stop syphon back if the return pump locks or a power faliure.

But is a bit pricey...

As far as silicone you COULD reseal it. But as long as the original owner didn't scrape the silicone as well as the glass it should last many many years.

To be honest, I wouldn't want to much flow going through the sump as I would like the skimmer to skim as much water as possible. The tank also includes a 50 gallon sump, mag 24 and a stand that needs to be refinish.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12932582#post12932582 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by TomRep
I think it's too deep. I have a 24" and hate it most of the time. JMO of course. If the price was right, I would buy it even if it was 36" deep! Guess thats the addiction we all have.
tom

Tom,
That's why I run a 5-6" sand bed... my 65 is closer to 18" deep that way :D

ricwilli,
See if you can do a leak test on site, just to be on the safe side... but as others have said, reseal for peace of mind... not too bad a price for tank, stand, sump and pump if everything is in working order IMO

There is a shop in town that sells 195 show tanks (72 x 24 x 26) for $570, the 50 gal sump for another $90; the cabinet and the Mag are nor particularly expensive considering it's not finished.

Just IMO of course, I think you have room for bargain.

You can get a new Perfecto 220g with 2 cornerflows for $699. You can get a 215g Oceanic Ultimate Reef Ready for $899. You might also check out www.glasscages.com for a lot of options under $1,000.

Does this tank come with the stand?

Back