zebra moray eating habits

JGoslee

Premium Member
Its been about 6 days since my zebra moray last ate. He usually eats 1 large tiger shrimp every 2 days. Is this anything to worry about?

no shouldnt be anything to worry about larger eels like zebra and dragon eels have been known to go weeks and even months without eating.. but you could try to entice it with live shrimp if you get really worried but i wouldnt be

Last edited:
True. I'd also vary diet as a matter of course - try offering scallops, live fiddler crabs or crayfish. Or supplement the tiger shrimp with vitamins. Only eating one food, all the time, isn't the healthiest diet.

You may also want to check your water conditions (pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, specific gravity) in case you have any water quality problems you weren't aware of.

I agree with the ^. I try to vary the diet for mine between prawn, mussels and scallops. He seems to like the change. Keeps him happy and begging for attention when i work on the tank.

I didn't know they could go long periods of time without eating. For those of you that feed live crabs or crayfish, do you pull the claws off before feeding or not worry about them?

that all depends on the size of your eel..usualy people do it but you dont have to with larger eels with smaller jeuviniles it is sugested

Squid or fish fillets (mahi, tuna, etc.) are a good food too.

Mine would eat well for months and then go on a hunger strike for 3 weeks or a month where I barely saw it.

he is getting to be a good size you shouldnt have to take the claws off.. The Crab usualy dont have enough time to use them anyway:D

Back