Zoa Pox

Treat it ASAP before it gets worse Joe.
Mine got a lot worse after 1-2 days before the first treatment.
Now It doesn't look like it is going to make it.

Last edited:
You can get a nice sized bottle of the powder form at Coral Reef. It's in their salke section. VC can get to you quickly too. Let me know if you want more info on that. You could use VC tablets until you get the pure stuff.

I wish I had known you were going to order from DFS, I could have gotten you $5 off plus an extra 6%.

Dosing Vitamin C Chart

Use this product:
http://www.iherb.com/ProductDetails.aspx?c=1&pid=-7152293197697039798
$5 0ff coupon code: LUL789 (always good for first purchase).

To figure out how much to use, decide if you want to simply improve coral growth, spread, and color. If so, then you should dose around 5 ppm twice daily. If you are having problems with coral or fish health, dose up to around 30 ppm twice daily.

Calculate the total net number of gallons in your tank (minus rocks, sand, etc). Enter that number here ______.

You will now need to do a little math. The amounts below are for 100 gallons of water so if you have 50 net gallons, cut the amounts shown below in half etc.

Dosing amounts using Iherb product:
1/4 tsp=1112 mg.

For every 100 gallons:

5 ppm ----- 1892 mg VC
10 ppm ---- 3785 mg VC
15 ppm ---- 5677 mg VC
20 ppm ---- 7570 mg VC
25 ppm ---- 9462 mg VC
30 ppm ---- 11355 mg VC

After you have figured out how much you want to dose at each dosing, enter that number here _____. This is your dose to be used twice a day.

Notes:
*Be sure your pH and alk are within normal reef limits before starting. Adjust if needed. Monitor weekly.
*Shoot for a ppm of around 5 if only dosing for improved coral growth, coloration, and spread. Shoot for higher amounts up to 30 ppm if you are having melting zoas or closed zoas and look for the causes of your problems as you dose. Check for high nitrates, pests, zoa pox, predators, and unstable water conditions.
*Dose low amounts and increase the amount slowly over the course of a few days to a couple weeks.
*Do not dose at high levels (>10ppm), if you don’t have a skimmer! Especially on a nano tank.
* If you notice an algae bloom or increased skim on your glass then cut back by half until it disappears.
* Watch your skimmer, it will start to skim more.
* Dose the amount twice a day in a fast moving area of your sump or overflow. You may dilute the vitamin c in ro/di water for a minute then pour into my overflow. If adding to sump, try and add the vitamin c after filtration such as skimmers and reactors.
* If you have a question, ask here. I check VC threads daily.
* The instructions in this guide and throughout this thread are based on using pure Sodium Ascorbate, not vitamin c pills and other non-buffered forms of vitamin c.

Be sure to take some "before" pics!

To figure out how much to use, decide if you want to simply improve coral growth, spread, and color. If so, then you should dose around 5 ppm twice daily. If you are having problems with coral or fish health, dose up to around 30 ppm twice daily.

Calculate the total net number of gallons in your tank (minus rocks, sand, etc). Enter that number here _around 60 or so_____.

You will now need to do a little math. The amounts below are for 100 gallons of water so if you have 50 net gallons, cut the amounts shown below in half etc.

Dosing amounts using Iherb product:
1/4 tsp=1112 mg.

For every 100 gallons:

5 ppm ----- 1892 mg VC
10 ppm ---- 3785 mg VC
15 ppm ---- 5677 mg VC
20 ppm ---- 7570 mg VC
25 ppm ---- 9462 mg VC
30 ppm ---- 11355 mg VC

After you have figured out how much you want to dose at each dosing, enter that number here __15ppm___. This is your dose to be used twice a day.

Ok so how much would i dose daily?
Sorry i cant do math at all im a printer so i can put four colors together and make it look pretty.
Thanks alot Joe

Is it for your 72g tank or are the affected polyps in QT? Pox is contageous so it would be best to treat in QT. Also, you could treat them at much higher levels of VC in there. Even so, I'd still treat the entire tank at lower levels to prevent the pox from spreading to your other zoas.

Yes it is im my 72. i dont have a qt so i either have to treat im the tank or treat in a small container with the furan.

Joe

That's too bad--you could use really high doses in QT. At this point, just start with 1000mg (if you're using the tabs for now), 2x/day & add an extra 1000mg every day, until you reach 5,000mg (2x/day). Add it to your sump. As soon as you get the powdered from from I-herb, you can start dosing that at 1 tsp, 2x/day, into your sump. In 2 days, double that. Keep a close eye on your skmimmer, alk & pH, especially while using the tabs.

i ordered the stuff from i herb so hopefully ill have it quick. hopefully they ship tomorrow and i get it by tuesday or wednesday.

So 1000 mg twice a day then 100 mg three times a day then 100mg 4 times a day then 100mg 5 times a day. thens 500mgs till i get the powder form. Also with the pills should i gring them up or keep them as full pills.

Joe

Back