Zoa removal/control

Mouse

UnRegistered Member
Ive had some LR cycling for a few months now, algae is down to a few 'hard' green specs with little to no growth now. Along the way a few Zoa's have sprung to life on the rock. I know these guys can get out of hand, So are there any good/great ways to control their spreading or is removal the safe option? If removal is to be done, how do you remove these hardy little buggars?

40 views and no thoughts?
Vinegar injection? Kalk paste? scrape the rock?

I'm not against zoas, just looking to stop a encroachment issue before it gets out of hand.

I've have a problem with my Palys, they are stinging my SPS. I want to get rid of them. Wish they were never put in the tank.

You guys and your chemicals, just boil some rodi & suck it up in a turkey baster, then spray the boiling water over whatever you want dead. no big deal. Will kill it FAST.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15466352#post15466352 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Garage1217
You guys and your chemicals, just boil some rodi & suck it up in a turkey baster, then spray the boiling water over whatever you want dead. no big deal. Will kill it FAST.

Would it be best to 'scrape' off what I can 1st?

I like Zoas, and plan on having them, just not where these poped up at. (the rock in question)

Scrape, glue and sell. I would love a whole tank full of nothing but zoa... One mans trash...

I agree with Hop, they can be easily removed with a razor blade and superglued back down on rocks or plugs that could be traded in at the LFS. Make sure to wear gloves and eye protection if you do this out of water, always wash your hands after working in the tank and do not touch your eyes or mouth, especially when working with zoanthids or palythoas.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15466352#post15466352 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Garage1217

lol garage those East coasters and their over-complication of matters :)

If you don't like the zoas, hit them with boiling water, assuming you can't get to them. If you can get to them easily, try scraping them off the rock and give them away/sell them to a LFS or other reefer. Someone will want them!

You guys and your chemicals, just boil some rodi & suck it up in a turkey baster, then spray the boiling water over whatever you want dead. no big deal. Will kill it FAST. [/QUOTE

Not a good idea...a year or so ago here on RC someone poured boiling water over zoas, he took the full burst of steam from the rocks and inhaled and ended up in the hospital for weeks and has permanent lung damage!...someone must have that thread!

Another option is to use aquamend. Take a ball of aquamend and spread it thinly over the area you want them removed from. Be sure not to adhere it too tightly to the rocks. In 4-5 days peal it off and they should be gone. The key is to do it in small batches as they will rot when they die and could pollute the tank.

Yeah I mean spray it in the tank, not in the open haha. I have killed an aiptaisia between the heads of a candy colony with damage to any of the candy. Just use common sense for crying out loud.

I have a few smaller rocks I can move them to, but I knew more would sprout from the bit left on the rock.

Thnx for the info guys, time to move the heads and wipe the errr whatevers left =)

Back