Zoanthids on Live Rock need help identifying them

Klamb3

Hi all,

I had a 55 gallon saltwater tank for many years back in CT, but I had to disassemble it now that I moved into a small apartment in TX for work. So, I decided to start a small 16 gallon reef tank. I just set it up this week and I'm in the first week of cycling the tank, and in order to do so I purchased 15 lbs of live rock to speed the process up. Over the past week many different hitchhikers have emerged from the rock, now that the water is crystal clear, but I was surprised to find that the rock contained two colonies of two different soft corals. I was wondering if anyone would be able to help me identify what I believe are Zoanthids that came with a new piece of live rock I added? I have included pictures (see attached)

Attachments

• image1(2).jpeg
    image1(2).jpeg
    46.2 KB · Views: 7
  • image3.jpeg
    image3.jpeg
    45.1 KB · Views: 8
  • image2(2).jpeg
    image2(2).jpeg
    46.5 KB · Views: 8
I thought the larger of the two colonies were palythoas just from looking around through identification websites, but wasn't sure. Should I be worried about them? I am very aware as an organic chemist that if they are palythoas they contain palytoxin, which is not to be messed with, but some species are less toxic than others. Is there a way to identify if this colony is a potent species?

I thought the larger of the two colonies were palythoas just from looking around through identification websites, but wasn't sure. Should I be worried about them? I am very aware as an organic chemist that if they are palythoas they contain palytoxin, which is not to be messed with, but some species are less toxic than others. Is there a way to identify if this colony is a potent species?

https://reefs.com/2015/09/14/the-dangers-and-myths-of-zoa-toxicity-part-1/

Back