zoo eating nudi's

ctrulock

I noticed my zoo rock was not really openning well, I though it was from tank re-arranging. Today I noticed like 10 nudi's on it so I did a 2 min fresh (warm) water dip and seemed to get em all off. What do the eggs look like? And any other tips?

The eggs look like tiny curly-q's with white dots in it. The dip wont do much for the eggs, so I would get some tweezers and a magnifying glass and start picking them off. Do the dip and search for eggs once or twice a week untill you dont see them any more.

Muchoreef has alot of good info for zoa's in the zoanthid forum.
I'd suggest reading that.

kass

I read up on them omg this sux lol. I did 2 dips on my piece (thank goodness I only have 1 colony of zoos it is large tho). I havent seen any come out so far. I hope I did not kill my zoos in the fw dip it was a little warm like 90 maybe and I did it for like 1-2 min.

Oh 1 more question if they eat up all the zoos what then? Do they move to a different type of coral? Or do they die via starvation?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8077969#post8077969 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ctrulock
Oh 1 more question if they eat up all the zoos what then? Do they move to a different type of coral? Or do they die via starvation?

The nudis will die once all zoas are gone. If you keep up on the dips you should be fine. If you do a FW dip, match the PH and temp of the dip to your tank. You can even use a couple of drops of Lugols Iodine if need be. Either way it should work.

I noticed, too, when I was getting rid of mine that they blow off pretty easily with a turkey baster.

Mucho Reef's freshwater dip routine is still the best first line of action, but it also helped to turkey baste the heck out of any zoos I left in the tank in between the fresh dips. I moved most zo's to a quarantine tank until they were clear and blew the rest off several times daily to keep the nudis from getting comfortable again. About the time they'd crawl their little selves back to the zo's, I'd blast them into the water flow again.

I don't know if it helped, but it sure made my day to see them get blown away.

Hah!

Good Luck! They're not easy to get rid of, but it is possible. I've been clear of them for awhile now.

I pretty much lost all my zoos because of them. Check at night with a flashlight, they seem to really come out at night.

Back