125 gal Tank Build

I recently purchased a running 125 gal system. After driving the system the 2 hours back to my house in jacksonville and spending the rest of the afternoon setting it back up. It has been running now for 2 weeks. The system came with no coral other than a toadstool, some damsels, yellow tang, blue tang, purple dottyback, and coral banded shrimp. The system was using 3x165w black boxes for lighting. Dual-overflows plumbed in, with the drains going into a wet/dry. The wet/dry has the water dumping into an empty chamber which flows into the next chamber housing a reef octupus in-sump skimmer along with chaeto and an ATO. It then flows underneath to the last chamber where the intake for the external return pump (DART pump) is along with a small pump to feed a BRS dual reactor, and another small pump to feed two little fishies reactors with bio-pellets.

The previous owner was selling due to limited time to up-keep. It seemed he had an issue keeping corals and the tank had a fair bit of hair algae.

Once I got it home, I first took all the damsels to the LFS because i know i wasn't going to catch them again. I kept the sand in the tank during transportation slightly covered with water, so the rock went back into the tank, and all the water I was able to tote added back. This totaled maybe 40 gallons of water, to which i put a small external powerhead in the water to keep movement. The process of mixing saltwater to fill the tank began, while I left the livestock in their bags for a few hours until i could get some more water in the tank. By the evening I probably had about 70 gallons of saltwater in the display and all the fish acclimating to the tank to which i put them back in an hour later and let the RO unit spend the evening making fresh water. Unfortunately the next morning the blue tang was breathing heavy on its side at the bottom of the tank while the yellow tang and CBS were still doing fine. I left the lights off and finally had enough water in the tank to run the pump and start the tank by the end of the second day. I added in an MP60W to the tank and a 20lb bag of sand to the system and let it go. Unfortunately 2 days later i found the yellow tang also dead on the bottom of the tank.

It is now two weeks since then and the purple dottyback is doing well along with the CBS and leather. I decided to remove all 4 of the reactors and simplify the system. I have the lights running now with white from 1100-1500 at 35% and blues 1300-1900 at 60%. The return pump was periodically kicking out bubbles from what i believe to be cavitation which has been resolved with slightly throttling the ball valve on the return feed. The digital thermometer that came with the tank was consistently reading 79-80 F so I purchased a 1/10hp chiller to keep it below 76F along with an APEX JR both of which i was able to secure used for $300 total from a local reefer. I bought some $10 frags of a poccilopora, acro, millipora, and montipora about a week ago to see how they fare and so far are doing well.

https://imgur.com/a/lqvfefW

Moving Forward

Moving Forward

I tested the water yesterday for the first time, parameters were:
ammonia:0.2ppm
nitrites: 0
nitrates: 0
phosphates: 0.02ppm
pH: 8.2

The tests were redsea and when i took the water to my LFS to confirm the numbers they just had cheap strips that didn't offer much. I think I am going to buy some new test kits just to be safe.

The tank is displaying some hair algea but I think the tank is still working on stabilizing, I have kept the feedings to very minimal since it is just one fish and shrimp at the moment.
-I plan to use the APEX to control the chiller and heater to assist in keeping the tank as stable as possible temperature wise.
-Right now the lights are on their own digital timers, and I purchased a 5ft (60w) 2 bulb T5 fixture to add into the hood with a coral plus and super actinic which I will run in the am before the white lights come on.
-Ultimately I want to run hard pvc lines for the plumbing to remove the dangling loops of the drain plumbing, and create a manifold off the return pump since I apparently have extra head pressure to utilize since I had to throttle the pump. I want to tap the two returns off the manifold and add in an extra feed for the chiller so i can ommite the current pump feeding it as well as build in a second feed in case I decide to plumb any of the reactors back in.
- I want the tank to be a mixed reef with a concentration of SPS in the rockwork and lps in the sand bed.
-I want to add an anemone
-My fish list is as follows:
2x chalk basslet
2x black & white oscellaris (paired)
1x Dispar Anthias
1x Bicolor Blenny
1x longnose hawk
1x Naso tang
1x Blue tang
1x Leaopard wrasse
1x Carpenters Flasher Wrasse
1x Goby/pistol shrimp combo
1x purple lobster

Feedback/thoughts appreciated.

The hard pvc is a good idea, imo. You will be happy that you did it. While you're at it, it might be worth looking into syphon drains (herbie and others) for noise reasons.

For the hair algae; it looks like your nitrates and phosphates are in good shape. The hanna checker ULR phosphorous is the one you want if you will be running a reef.

The blue tang gets a little big for a 125, and any Naso will get way too big.

Back