125 Tank Startup...

So Im going to try this out and see how it goes. I have seen many other posts on tank builds and start up. Tonight I think I will start one. If nothing else it will act as a "journal" of sorts to keep all of this stuff straightened out in my head.
I will also try to post some pictures too.

So my tank has been up for about 7 months or so. My first saltwater tank and I am loving it. I have tons of freshwater experience but this is the first with salt.

This is what I was running when I first started:
125 gal,
2 AquaLife Edge LED (13) 6K White, (14) 9K White, (17) 10K White, (3) Blue, (7) Red, (3) Blue Lunar LED`s
Eshopps 3rd Gen R-200 sump with refugium
Eshopps SnowCone Skimmer S200
Heater and UV Sterilizer inline
SunSun JVP-201 Powerhead @ 650gph

That is not what I am currently running but I will circle back to that.

When I first started I rapid cycled my tank using an instant cycler (dont remember which one) and some freshwater mollies that I converted to saltwater fish. They were in the tank for about a month an a half then they started popping out babies (as mollies do.) I captured all of the mollies and put them in my hospital tank so I could add saltwater fish to my DT. The mollies went to my LFS and from what I hear they were taken home the same day by one of the employees that wanted to put them in the fuge.

I started slow with the fish...nothing crazy. Each fish has had a good amount of QT time.

To date I have a sailfin tang, pair of clowns w/anemone, 4 anthias, two bar gobies, 4 blue damsels, and a dwarf flame angel. Im still under my bioload for the tank (even counting my snails,shrimp,and crabs) but I am treating all of the fish (except clowns) for ich so I am working on my corals for the moment. I believe the ich was introduced into the tank from a "free with purchase" coral that I got from an online retailer when I got my dwarf angel.

The fish are fine in the HT and the corals seem to be doing good as well. The corals that I have are a green hammer colony, pink hammer colony, green brain maze, blue mushrooms, red mushrooms, green mushrooms, GSP, sun coral and a Kenyan tree. After weeks of work and teasing I am FINALLY getting the sun to open during the day, it is amazing.

My equipment has been upgraded since the start. I am now running two Maxspect Gyre XF150's for flow instead of the SunSun that I had in the beginning. Technically I am running one and working with Coralvue on the warranty for the second. it just stopped working on me so we are trying to figure out what is going on with it.
I have also upgraded my lights. The Edge looked great but did not provide the PAR I wanted for lower level coral growth. I upgraded to 2 Maxspect Razor (R420R) lights and things seems to be doing great with those. Right now I am running them at 40% max as the lights have been up and running for about 2 weeks. I am getting a PAR meter on Wednesday and will slowly bump the intensity up once I make sure that it will not be too much for the corals.

The fish will be ready to go back in the DT in about 4 weeks and once they are back in I am going to hold off on more fish until I get my corals going. I do have enough spare equipment that I am thinking of setting up a second DT and running seahorses, garden eels and some pipe fish (if anyone knows of a good vertical tank around 65g let me know.)

Here is a picture of my sun coral that I took earlier tonight. I apologize for the color but there is only so much that can be done with my camera phone. I am always up for tips and suggestions. Also I would love to hear thoughts and feedback or suggestions on corals. I am always looking for a great addition to the tank.

Thanks for reading and if you have any questions please feel free to ask.

album-72157669761157272

Last edited:
How do you like the Gyre's or at least the one thats working? Also your picture link does not to seem to work. For me at least.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

Why aren't you treating your clown for ich? And if you left the clowns in your display while treating all other fish then you never really solved the problem of ich in your display tank and your fish are very likely to get reinfected when they are returned to your display.

Whit- I love the gyres. They create such a nice predictable flow in the tank. I have one set up horizontal pointing towards the overflow to keep all of the top layer moving towards the Overflow. The one that is not working at the moment is placed in a corner in a vertical position to circulate the tank. When they are both up and running I have a nice area of strong flow on one side and an area of lower flow on the opposite side. It works out really well.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Postal- I am taking a gamble by not treating the clowns. I did not want to pull them and the anemone out for the simple fact that I was treating with copper and did not want the seabae in it. And right at the time of the egg outbreak one of the Clown's was transitioning to female and I did not want to stress them out anymore than they already were. They have never shown any signs of irritation or stress in the tank and are the oldest residents that I have. I know that all fish can get ick but these little guys are tough and have never had any crystals or any signs of it. I am watching them closely to see if the ick starts to attack them and if it does then I will pull them out of the tank. If they are able to fight it off and avoid it over the course of the next month to month and a half then the life cycle should be broken. At that point it should be safe to put the rest of the fish back in the tank. That's my logic anyways if the egg does attack them then I will pull them out and put them in their own separate quarantine area and restart my timer for when I can put the fish back in my DT.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Back