180g DIY LED Build with LDD Drivers..Questions & Future Build thread

Brien H

I've been following the LDD driver thread for quite some time and want to say thanks to all that have contributed. I have some specific questions about my planned LED build and I didn't want to clutter that thread up, so I figured I'd start a new thread to discuss/plan the build, as well as document the process.

I'm planning a DIY build of (3) arrays/heatsinks over my standard 180g 72" wide tank. I currently have 250w Phoenix 14ks and like the look, but would really like some more 'pop' in the colors and perhaps a bit more deep blue appearance. Not to mention energy efficiency, heat, full control over each color/channel on each of the arrays to simulate clouds passing over, lightning, moon phases etc. Each array will be on an 18" Makersled heatsink. I plan to have approx 48 LEDs on each array on 2 separate channels using (4) LDDs and the 5 UP boards. My LEDs will most likely be Luxeon where possible. In addition I plan to add another channel that spans across all heatsinks for moon lights. I was thinking of building (1) array/heatsink first, making sure I liked the color ratios/optics etc, then building the other 2. This will all be controlled via an Arduino based Reef Angel controller with up to 8 PWM channels. I would like to have a blue/color channel for each heat sink, a white channel for each heat sink, and a moon light channel that spans all 3. (total of 7 channels). I'm very open to suggestions as this is my first LED build.

So for each array I am planning the following:
(1) 5 Up board with the ability to run 5 LDD drivers on each array. Only 4 will be used in this initial plan

Blue/Color Channel (Total of 24 RB, 4 B, 4 Cyan, 4 Violet)
(1) LDD 1000 to 12 Royal Blue Luxeon 440nm
(1) LDD 1000 to 12 more Royal Blue Luxeon 440nm
(1) LDD 700 to 4 Blue 470-480nm, 4 Cyan and 4 Violet 410-420nm

White Channel (total of 12 white LEDs. 6CW, 6NW)
(1) LDD 1000 to 6 CW and 6 NW Luxeon 3Ws

Now for my basic questions. If I am way off on any of this, feel free to let me know :).

- Does this color mix seem reasonable? Should I add/remove some whites/blues/violets/other colors etc? Suprisingly this has been my most difficult decision. I've read to shoot for a 2 or 2.5:1 blue to white ratio but am open to suggestions but I understand this is subjective.

- Would it be better to have the "color" string on the white channel? I could always try and do a separate color channel that spans all 3 arrays (so 1 LDD 700 powering 12 color LEDs on each heatsink, but controlled by a single PWM channel for all 3).

- I have a floating canopy approx 10" from the water (although this can be adjusted). The LED arrays would probably be inset a couple of inches, so let's say approx 12" from the optics to the water. Would 90 deg be the recommended optics to use? I need to prevent light from spilling out too much as the canopy is suspended from the ceiling and would blind us otherwise. It's pretty bright with the MHs but I planned on going LED when I set this tank up so I wasn't too concerned with it at the time. My tank is 24" deep.

- Are 2-3 LDD 1000s ok to run off one Reef Angel PWM channel?

- How do I go about selecting a power supply for this? I'll have a total of (4) LDDs on each array, plus another LDD running the moon lights. The moon light LDD can be on a separate power supply if needed. I've seen mention of selecting a meanwell 48v supply with X amps, but would this be sufficient for all of my LDDs/LEDs? I'll have approx (12) LDDs across all heatsinks an then an additional LDD for the moon lights. Each LDD will have approx 12 LEDs, while the moonlight channel will probably have 6-9 LEDs. Open to suggestions on selecting a power supply/supplies for this build.

Thanks so much in advance. I've been researching a DIY LED build for over a year and have narrowed my questions down to these 5 (for now). I'll document the build and post pictures of my system in the near future.

I would get 1A of power supply for each LDD. So 5A per pendant. I would get one ps per pendant for redundancy or maybe one for every 2. Your color mix would be okay although I would add more 405-420nm. Build one and see if you like it first before spending more money/time. Why do you want to control each color on each pendant? Are you planning to have different color ratios in different spots of the tank?

I am in the process of building a very similar unit. Same heatsink, although I changed out the fan for a PWM controlled one, Arduino controller, LDD drivers, and individually controlled pendants. I also made just one (which is actually in use over a 20 gal cube) to test and see if I like the colours. I'm making 2 more so when I'm finished I'll have 3 of them over my 210 gal 72"X24"X29". It's eurobraced so the 3 heatsinks fit perfectly in each square.
I went a bit of a different route though. I made each pendant to be run independently of one another (I can plug and unplug them as I please without affecting the others) but with the PWM signal I control each of the colours as a group. So all the RB's are one PWM channel, all the NW's one channel etc.
I have 2 power supplies, a Meanwell SE-350-36 and a SE-350-48.
Here's what 1 heatsink looks like:

If you want pm me and I can send you the link to my build thread on my local forum.

Thanks so much.

pwreef: I want each color individually controlled on each pendant so I can simulate clouds passing, storms etc. This isn't mandatory but is a nice feature to have if I feel like writing the code to do so. I can always tie all the whites to one channel, all the blues/colors to a 2nd and run in 2 channel mode if I get lazy.

daplatapus:
Looking great so far. I'll PM you about your build thread as this looks very similar to what I am planning. Thank you.

Back