24 gallon AquaTop nano lighting

ChefJoe

I have 1-160WE Tuna blue. Will this be enough coverage for SPS mix?

Thank you. First post in about 15 years šŸ˜‰

Welcome back! While I donā€™t have experience with this light, it appears to cover 12-24 inches respective time equal height off the water (12 inches off the water does 12 inches of coverage). In this case, if you can mount it high enough, it should be enough coverage. If you canā€™t get the mounting height, it may result in shadowing, which could be easily solved with T5 supplement or even LED bar supplements.

Realistically, at minimum, based on what I found for the dimensions of the tank, you would have 2.5 inches roughly on each side not completely covered at 12ā€ off the water based on what Iā€™m reading on specs

Welcome back! While I donā€™t have experience with this light, it appears to cover 12-24 inches respective time equal height off the water (12 inches off the water does 12 inches of coverage). In this case, if you can mount it high enough, it should be enough coverage. If you canā€™t get the mounting height, it may result in shadowing, which could be easily solved with T5 supplement or even LED bar supplements.

Realistically, at minimum, based on what I found for the dimensions of the tank, you would have 2.5 inches roughly on each side not completely covered at 12ā€ off the water based on what Iā€™m reading on specs
Thank you for the feedback.. I am a big fan of supplementing t5. What is the smallest size in length?

I think the smallest common reef bulb will be 24ā€ (which is wider than your tank) but otherwise I think you can find 18ā€ but only in the low kelvin soft white colors (3500k to 6000k). Didnā€™t even think of that when I initially suggested it

I think the smallest common reef bulb will be 24ā€ (which is wider than your tank) but otherwise I think you can find 18ā€ but only in the low kelvin soft white colors (3500k to 6000k). Didnā€™t even think of that when I initially suggested it
Thereā€™s a good possibility that I will invest in another Kessil Tuna blue.

My next tank I will definitely do a LED, T5 combo. Thanks again

I'm a fan of Metal Halide and VHO, but that was 20 years ago ;)

I am back in the hobby with a 20 gallon cube tank and I have come to my final lighting setup using a Radion XR15 G6 Pro with 4 T5 HO bulbs in an aquatic life hybrid fixture. Working out great so far. Looks a bit odd, but definitely get a good spread.

B7D2684F-3492-46B0-8F64-BCFAA815A642_1_201_a.jpeg

I did, I used the upgrade kit to go from blue to pro. The blue was just too blue for me overall.
A little updateā€¦. I went ahead and got a second 160blue. I turn it max intensity and white. When the time is I will get a par meter before I get corals. I am not sure were I am at, but I am confident there is enough spread and intensity.

I also got an aqua cap canister filter and an Icecap K1 Nano Skimmer.

A little updateā€¦. I went ahead and got a second 160blue. I turn it max intensity and white. When the time is I will get a par meter before I get corals. I am not sure were I am at, but I am confident there is enough spread and intensity.

I also got an aqua cap canister filter and an Icecap K1 Nano Skimmer.
Sounds good. What do you plan on doing with the canister filter?

If you are using live rock and a skimmer, a filter sock or filter cup maybe be easier for you. Canister is a good place to accumulate detritus but it tends to stay in the canister longer because people don't like to clean it out often. Filter socks or filter media in a cup tends to be easier and more probable to be cleaned more often. I will use a canister filter when I want to clean out the water column for a few days with a fine micron filter pad. But not full time. Just my thoughts regarding a canister on a reef tank anyway. Don't get me wrong, it can be done but you may need to think about a cleaning interval to keep it from becoming a waste can circulating your water.

If you are using live rock and a skimmer, a filter sock or filter cup maybe be easier for you. Canister is a good place to accumulate detritus but it tends to stay in the canister longer because people don't like to clean it out often. Filter socks or filter media in a cup tends to be easier and more probable to be cleaned more often. I will use a canister filter when I want to clean out the water column for a few days with a fine micron filter pad. But not full time. Just my thoughts regarding a canister on a reef tank anyway. Don't get me wrong, it can be done but you may need to think about a cleaning interval to keep it from becoming a waste can circulating your water.
These are great points. However, I have no issues cleaning canisters. I am going bare bottom so I wanted addition biological support, and I didnā€™t want a sump for this tank.

Back