270 Gallon IN WALL BUILD!!!

Amn.mohamed3

Hey guys,

So I have finally started working on the 270 gallon (72x36x24) wall build! The tank will be running the Triton method with a 150 gallon sump. Currently, the equipment list is:

APEX System
3 WAV Pumps
160 lb Pukani Rock
Skimz SL253 Protein Skimmer
Heaters
Tunze Osmolator
Triton additives
Jebao DCP-18000
2 SB Reef Lights SBox 32"
2 LET Retrofit t5 Kits
Kessil H380 Grow Light
2 80W ATI T5 Blue Plus
2 80W ATI T5 True Actinic 03
2 Channel APEX to Light Dimming Cable (This is for controlling the black box)
140 LB Fiji Pink Arag-Alive
3 IC Gel
Jebao DP-4
Triton Activated Carbon
2 175 Gallon Red Sea Coral Pro Salt Mix
HW Salt
Reef Crystals 200 Gallon
BRS Jumbo Reactor
44 Gallon Brute Trash Can
Alkalinity Hanna Checker
Phosphate Hanna Checker
Salifert Calcium Kit
Salifert Magnesium
Seneye Reef Monitor
AI Prime HD (Coral QT light)
Eheim Jager Heaters

I plan on keeping a large SPS colony near the top of the tank, while keeping the lps and softies closer to the bottom. Just for fun I created a potential stocking list which includes the order I would put them in:

3 Hermit Crabs, 5 Cerith Snails, 10 Nassarius Snails, 5 Trochus Snails, 2 Porcelain Crab, 2 Peppermint Shrimp, 2 Banded Coral Shrimp
2 Clownfish
Midas Blenny
Azure Damselfish
Yellow Watchman Goby and Tigor Pistol Shrimp
1 Serpent Star, 5 Lyretail Anthias
Melanarus Wrasse
Zebra Eel
1 Squamosa Clam
Bluethroat Triggerfish
Swallowtail Angel
Watanabei Angel
Cleanup Crew Part 2: 2 Hermit Crabs, 5 Cerith Snails, 10 Nassarius Snails, 5 Trochus Snails, 1 Peppermint Shrimp, 1 Pom Pom Crab, 1 Linckia Sea Star
Naso tang, Blue tang, Yellow tang, Yellow Eye Cole Tang, Convict Tang
1 Mandarin

Does anyone have any ideas for equipment changes or advice on my stock list? I love tangs and angels and those mid size active fish but maybe there a bit much for this tank.

Quarantine setup is also pretty extensive. There is one tank that is 150 gallons which will be divided into three sections for fish. These fish will be treated with cupramine before going into the display. The other aquarium is for coral and inverts qt as these are not tolerant of the cupramine treatment and require lighting. Any ideas on how to automate the qt system? Maybe use triton on those systems too or should I just stick to water changes for those ones?

I'm also new to corals and any advice on lighting and species selection would be greatly appreciated? How do I affordably stock a mixed reef with corals and what kind of money can I expect to spend on that? Since I am saving money with black boxes I decided to spend a little extra on a par monitor to make sure the corals are getting adequate light. Also I have already ordered the APEX and 3 WAV pumps because they were on a good sale. Would you guys recommend adding more pumps or is 12k gph enough for this tank?

Thanks for all the help, I have been lurking these forums for a couple of years and have learned tons of new things!

If you need help, pm me. I have some lessons learned from my build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back