30 gallon Nano at 7 Months

Jim Z.

Here's my 30 gallon Nano that was setup last August. A more heavily fed system that uses a 20 gallon long tank for a sump. Water is returned to the tank with a mag 5 pump via the water wand (white pipe). Holes drilled into the pipe release water across and down from the pipe. A EuroReef CS5-2 skimmer provides remorval of organics. Nitrate levels are at undetectable levels with heavy skimming. An Aquaclear 50 powerhead plus Hydor circulator increase water circulation on the left side of the tank.

Some red slime cyanobacteria is present and is due to a pump failure on the old skimmer (turbo Berlin). The cyanobacteria problem is now waning in part due to the new skimmer's efficiency.

The tank is lit with 4 39 watt T-5 and the green slimer Acropora is getting some size under this type of lighting. I add 1 Liter of Kalkwasser at night via an IV bag. The anemone was only 3 inches across when purchased from Tropicorium and it has doubled in size.

Enjoy,

Jim Z.

112557tank2.jpg

I feed for maintenance and growth:). The Tomato clowns are getting ready to spawn and they are very healthy looking. I am getting some excellent growth rates on acros as well. They get fed once or twice a week with DT's frozen oyster eggs. The Phyto-Feast seems to trigger some cyano growth and that's why I only add it 2x per week (for the clam and Blastomussa). Fish get fed once a day (Ocean Nutrition flakes). The anemones (silversides) and Tubastrea (mysids, frozen enriched brine +Tropicorium frozen food) get fed once a week. The Tubastrea gets fed outside the tank in a small 2 liter pitcher. I change around 7 gallons of water per week which replaces lost trace elements.

The tank has a beefy skimmer on it which handles the organic load adequately. I never feed more than what this closed system can handle. ....Jim Z.

Back