5.7ft tank stocking

ZanaZoola14

Hello,

Would anyone be able to look over my stocking list for a roughly 50+ gallon tank I have?

Length x width x height
Inches — 69.69x12x15.75
cm — 177x30x40 approx

It has been cycling now for three months. The lights are not that powerful so corals are out of the picture currently; however, I have two mangroves in there that are growing well. The lights are to be upgraded in the future so that I can have softies in this tank.

Yesterday it got its first fish as a group of 4 green chromis. And if others in the household have anything to say then it will soon be filled with green chromis — they have got annoyed about the empty tank and saw how lovely and cheap the chromis were at £8 each.

I am looking at this tank being wrasse heavy, mainly fairys and flashers. However, it is also limited in what I can get ahold of without fully burning the budget let alone breaking it. I also don't have deep enough sand for some wrasses.

This is my plan for CUC, at least the initial plan that will change as this tank progresses on. I have already introduced and got pods in the tank; however, I would like to build on it which is why they are on the list.

CUC
2x Cleaner Shrimp
2x Bags of Pods
10x Nass snails
2x Spiny Astrea snail
4x Trochus snails
5x Nerite snails

Now for the fish stocking. I am placing them into groups as I understand how some fish will need to be introduced together to help lessen the chance of aggression.

Group One
1x Chalk Basslet
1x Assessor Basslet (yellow or blue)

Group Two
Flame Scooter Blenny pair

Group Three
1x Yellowfin Flasher Wrasse (Paracheilinus flavianalis)
1x McCosker’s Flasher Wrasse (Paracheilinus mccoskeri)
1x Royal Flasher Wrasse (Paracheilinus angulatus)
1x Carpenter's Flasher Wrasse (Paracheilinus carpenteri)

Group Four
1x Ruby Longfin Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus rubriventralis) or Naoko’s Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus naokoae)

Group Five
1x Midas Blenny (Ecsenius midas) or Flametail Blenny (Enchelyurus flavipes)

Group Six
Cherub Angelfish (Pair?) (Centropyge argi)

I know that group two will need to be the last introduction to make sure that there is a healthy pod population for them alongside any pod additions I'll add routinely. Group six is likely to be the one I add second to last after group one.

With group three I am thinking whether I actually only get one of them and get a small group (maybe around 3?) instead.

Rough group additions order:
3 (Flasher)
4 (Fairy)
5 (Blenny)
1 (Basslet)
6 (Angel)
2 (Dragonet) (likely 1 year+ down the line)

How does this stocking look? What are people's opinions on this? And anything to recommend if not in this list? Is this likely to max me out?

Any replies greatly appreciated, thanks.

I cannot comment a whole lot as I focus on corals and inverts with a light fish load. For a 50ish gallon tank, this seems like a pretty large stocking list but, I’ll defer to others who are more into fish.

@Dr. Reef @HumbleFish @wvned @kharmaguru @JCOLE @Reefing102 @shred5
@Timfish

That looks like a lot to me as well.
Alright, thank you for the replies.

I was originally looking at less but repeatedly got told to look more towards the 10–12 range. I will also not be adding all of group three, and the blennies are now in the process of being removed from the group completely.

What sort of range would you say then for fish?
This will have a 3ft sump alongside it, alongside a couple of hang of parts, like the skimmer (if not added to sump) and refugium.

10 maybe. I counted 14? on the list.
Alright, thanks. Better than the only four fish another forum is saying at least.

I am only aiming for three at most from group three, and the blennies have actually been removed from the list now.

2x basslet
2x dragonet
3x flasher
1x fairy
1x angel

Which brings this list to nine. Well, it will likely be ten as the chromis are unlikely to actually stay as a group.

Thank you for the reply.

Amount of fish added really depends on so much like how much rock you have, filtration, hiding spaces, type of fish etc. But that look like too many fish.

Also with that stocking list you have allot of fish that will jump so you need a cover. Not if they will jump.

Also those wrasses should have sand.

You also have a few fish that might struggle together.

The cherub angel is great for that tank but very hard to pair.

Chalk basses are a great fish and super underrated. They are also jumpers like wrasses too. For the price they are super active, hardy and great looking fish. Pictures rarely do this fish justice. They come from the Caribbean so they come in much better shape than those flown in from other countries.

I hope you quarantined the Green chromis or they came treated, by the price I am saying they were not.. They have been coming in with Urinoma. It has got so bad I will not even buy them and Uronema is nothing to mess with. It is a fish I would not risk without proper quarantine.

Amount of fish added really depends on so much like how much rock you have, filtration, hiding spaces, type of fish etc. But that look like too many fish.

Also with that stocking list you have allot of fish that will jump so you need a cover. Not if they will jump.

Also those wrasses should have sand.

You also have a few fish that might struggle together.

The cherub angel is great for that tank but very hard to pair.

Chalk basses are a great fish and super underrated. They are also jumpers like wrasses too. For the price they are super active, hardy and great looking fish. Pictures rarely do this fish justice. They come from the Caribbean so they come in much better shape than those flown in from other countries.

I hope you quarantined the Green chromis or they came treated, by the price I am saying they were not.. They have been coming in with Urinoma. It has got so bad I will not even buy them and Uronema is nothing to mess with. It is a fish I would not risk without proper quarantine.
So the nine fish would be too much?

I'm getting a custom made lid, I'm also setting up a temp small mesh lid as well at the moment.

The wrasse I listed are ones that are mucous bubble sleeper and prefer rockwork to substrate? I do also have sand, it is just not that deep.

Which fish would struggle together on the list? This is part of the reason why I am still listing these stocking lists so I can work out any final details.

That was why the pair was followed by a question mark as I knew they were going to be a struggle to get as a pair, and was more likely to do singular.

The chalk bass are one of the ones that are happening no matter what because I just love the look of them. I've seen a few in person in lfs and in aquariums and they always look stunning.

The green chromis were pretreated, and they had been in the lfs for over two months before I got these. The price was a discount to sell them off to free up another tank.

Back