92 gallon tank, 20 gallon sump?

JRoweNole

I have read the suggestions regarding minimum sizes of refugiums in comparison with tank size.

I am intrigued with the increased fondness of cheato macroalgae - do you think I could still have real benefit to my established system if I sectioned about 1/3 of my 20 gallon sump to house cheato with proper lighting?

I do not have any additional room in my cabinet or outside my cabinet for a separate sump (unfortunately) (at least at this point in time!).

Thank you.

Every little bit helps in the nutrient export area so I would give it a try. One additional benefit with chaeto is my pods and worms seem to love it. They are crawling all through the stuff.

Vickie

JRoweNole i'm exactly in your situation, same tank, same sump, also want to put some macro in micron sump compartment, which is about 1/3 of sump. don't know if it's worth it. i may try it.

Same tank, same sump.

I kept cheato for about a year in my sump with very little growth. It was illuminated by one of those outdoor compact flourescent floodlights.

I recently changed the tank to FOWLR and had to move the cheato into the main tank to make room for a bigger in-sump skimmer. The cheato has doubled in size under the 250W HQI in two weeks. I'll have to havest some this weekend.

I only have a 34 gallon or so refugium, it is a big rubber maid tub. the good thing about it is it is wide and long and tall enough to house the plants so for the small gallon size, you can get a bunch of stuff in there.

Back