A new study poses dramatic future expectations for coral reefs around the world

A new study poses dramatic future expectations for coral reefs around the world, concluding half of global coral reefs will be compromised by climate change by 2035.
😱

Let us love the oceans and protect them with our responsible behaviour
😍

Rif: Co-occurring anthropogenic stressors reduce the timeframe of environmental viability for the world’s coral reefs Pictures by Vardhan Patankar (CC BY-SA 4.0)

#globalwarming #bleaching #coralreefs #heating #climatechange #plosbiology #globalwarming #oceanwarming

Another study that says one thing in the intro but another in the conclusion.

The premise
Anthropogenic disturbances are posing unprecedented challenges to the persistence of ecosystems worldwide. The speed at which these disturbances reach an ecosystem’s tolerance thresholds will determine the time available for adaptation and conservation. Here, we aim to calculate the year after which a given environmental stressor permanently exceeds the bounds of an ecosystem’s tolerance.

No one reads anymore. Just scan the headline.

The findings
We find that the primary anthropogenic disturbance driving recent coral reef unsuitability was local-scale pressures related to human population density (Fig 1A). Local human population relates to disturbances such as overfishing, runoff, coastal development, and eutrophication, which have been known to have deleterious impacts on coral reefs [1013]. The direct pressures of local human populations are particularly severe on coral reefs given their shallow and coastal distribution and the fact that human population has increased dramatically in coastal areas [11,14,15]. Prior studies have already indicated that by 2000, 75% of the world’s coral reefs were adjacent to human settlements [10] with 58% being accessible within less than 30 minutes from the nearest human settlement [12]. Recurring bleaching events of global scope have also added to recent coral degradation [16]. For instance, approximately 16% of the world’s coral reefs died due to single bleaching events like those occurring in 1998 and 2016

As somebody living in WV what exactly can I do that will effect any of the actual causes killing coral reefs that are local in nature.
My wife cuts the plastic rings on soda so they won't choke see turtles even though they will go into a landfill in WV. Meanwhile coal will be burned to charge electric cars to save the environment. Do coal powered cars sound good for the environment to you? People are driving them proudly with eco warrior stickers all over them. I laugh at their stupidity. They need to put "I support strip mining" stickers on their cars instead.

@wvned exactly. 99% of the issues are NOT co2, nor "climate change." They are contributing factors for sure, but we should be looking at CHEMICAL contamination more, as well as nutrient pollution.
The "Green Washing" is for real! Before electric cars, there was emission devices. The tail pipe emissions are reduced, but the fuel economy is drastically reduced. So...burn more fuel, but less efficient?
A good start to addressing co2 would be to attack the global trade. The freighters feom China to the US and back contribute the majority of the co2 that are feasible to reduce significantly.

They've barely scratched the surface with testing things like Monsantos Roundup's effects on reefs. They use that stuff excessively in Australia and other places where runoff irrefutably reaches the coral reefs.
I'm so tired of the consumer being the solution to preserving the ecosystem while large manufacturers are essentially encouraged to do as they please.

The real issue for me is they are looking at global far sweeping changes that will little affect the local problems that are causing the seas to die near land. Meanwhile the development goes on at an increasing pace. Higher and Higher population densities. Old single family homes turned into multi tenant dwellings with the lots split into 4. The lots were large for the septic leach fields required. Now there are sewer plants. Old homes on acreage are gone and hotels stand.

I have been going to the outer banks since 3 years old. I remember the long drive through the night with crabs swarming on the roads as we got close. The many designated areas for wildlife. Live starfish and Man o Wars on the beach. The fishing both from the beach and the piers was good. The really big shark they caught that was hanging on a winch at the pier. Blue crabs and ghost crabs. Pipefish in a hole dug near the surf as the tide receded. Shells of all kinds, many with the occupants still living. The local seafood restaurants. So many good memories.
The other beaches I have been to are the same.

Now you don't even find a shell. The shore is 100% developed. They dredge sand offshore and shoot it on the beach. The foods is the same frozen stuff we get here mostly except for the catch of the day caught far offshore by sport fisherman. You eat hot dogs from the Walmart when you stay.

I hate going there now. Nothing but humans are left. I can go to Walmart here and it doesn't make me cry.

It's really no surprise when they find new reefs, they are far away from developed areas, or humans at all, and often are pristine.

It couldn't be different... it a new reef was near a human settlement, someone would have discovered, don't you think so?

Anyway we believe that could be better if all of us would acting to improve the world...

It couldn't be different... it a new reef was near a human settlement, someone would have discovered, don't you think so?
The point was, any new reef found AWAY from humans, is typically pristine.
Constantly blaming the consumer for the global climate instead of putting pressure on the corporation's impact on the local environment is the issue.
3 newest reef found, all in spectacular condition. Lack of human presence and development is hardly a coincidence..
Ecuador

Tahiti

Australia

Back