about rics

Perureef

i want some rics but am not sure about the lighting. i have 4*54W T-5 lighting over my 72 gal setup. the tank is 22 inches deep. is this sufficient lighting? the lights are on for 12 hrs. a day. how low or high should i place the rics? my parameters are:

phospates: 0
nitrate: undectable
nitrite: 0
ammonia: 0
alkalinity: 420 ppm
calcium: 450 ppm
pH: 8.4
salinity: 1.024

i have four colonies of shrooms in my setup, but currently only one of them is looking well, all extended and stuff. the rest are shiveled and one group began to detach from its rock. three weeks ago we used a new product to raise the pH, and even though we only used only a third of the recommended dosage, it still caused problems. three corals died, releasing nutrients and causing algae problems. water changes were made, and all the other corals are recovering, but the shrooms still look odd. the algae still is heavy, but it is very slowly going away (i plan to install a new skimmer soon). as u can see from above, even with all the problems after three weeks the parameters look good. could it be that the algae touching the shrooms irritates them?

I have seen many shrooms open in pet stores where the rock was covered in algae, so i don't think that is the problem. As for the rics, that lighting is fine, just start them down low at first then start to move them up the rock if u like.

Back