Acclimating zoas to T5 lights?

Cox

I have a 20 gal. zoa dominated tank (also with several rics/shrooms, a toadstool, torch and hammer). I added a bubble tip anemone a few mths ago for my percs so I've been thinking of upgrading to a 4x24w T5 fixture for the anemone. I currently have the Current Orbit 2x65w PC fixture that has been running on the tank for about 1 yr. Question is, would upgrading to the 4x24w T5 shock, burn or bleach the zoas? Would I have to acclimate them to the lighting change? If so, what would be the best way? Thanks.

Yes you will have to acclimate them. Use window screen several layers and remove one layer every so often. I have heard that mushrooms don't like the T5 as it is too bright so you might have to move them to some shaded areas. The rest of your coral will probably do fine just acclimate them tot he new lighting

Thats a great idea Denny. You can also try to have 2 lights on instead of all four and then turn one more light on every week to see if that works.

I haven't yet purchased the T5 fixture, I am still debating on which to get. Actually, the Nova was one of the contenders. I assume that you don't like the Nova due to the fact that it has only one flat reflector? I've read that this is a downside of the unit, but I'm thinking that it'll most likely serve my purpose OK, since I only really need the T5s for the BTA. I have no intention whatsoever to ever keep SPS, so I think that the Nova would be fine. I was, however, also looking into the Tek or Finnex models. Any other recommendations? I need a unit that can be used with mounting legs, hanging the fixture is not an option.

Back