Acrylic questions

New2NaCl

A few questions:

Who is the cheapest supplier of cell cast acrylic sheets in Colorado Springs?

What's the best bonding agent for thick sheets of acrylic?

How long must it cure before using the bonded acrylic?

New2NaCl, it doesnt appear that you didnt registered on the site, and asked the question. Calvin415 and a few others are very fluent with acrylic work, and have built numerous tanks, including our frag tanks that the club uses at trade shows and events. :D

I don't understand. Calvin just posted in here, so he's obviously monitoring this. Why don't people use this forum?

So it would seem. Maybe this Calvin guy will answer in here anyway. I'm also checking out the Denver group. They're closer to me anyway.

We don't use this forum because we can't control troublemakers like we can on our own site ;)

I think the Denver club will be a great match for you and I hope you find a niche in their club :)

Re: Acrylic questions

Well I asked you to post over there so a larger audience can see the answers to your questions in case they have the same question.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14171563#post14171563 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by New2NaCl
A few questions:

Who is the cheapest supplier of cell cast acrylic sheets in Colorado Springs?

A&C Platics based in Houston has a warehouse in Colorado Springs, and they are the only supplier in C/S that I'm aware of. Even so, their prices are very competitive with even the Denver suppliers.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14171563#post14171563 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by New2NaCl
What's the best bonding agent for thick sheets of acrylic?

Depending on thickness (up to 2") I would recommend WeldOn products, with our dry climate here, I love WeldOn 3. For different applications, WeldOn 40 (2 part) can be used or 42 (same as 40 but in cartridge form) if you want to drop about 200 on the applicator gun. How much experience do you have with working with acrylic? There are great DIY threads in the DIY forum if you're not experienced that will help explain a lot of the different techniques. I can't say enough about the pin method!

How long must it cure before using the bonded acrylic?

Depends on the solvent, the material thickness, and climate conditions, but good rule of thumb with WeldOn 3 is 4 hours before moving it, 24 hours before machining it, and 48 hours before wet testing it. The weld will cure over 90% in the first 24 hours put will continue to add strength over the next 7 days. Obviously the longer the better but ultimately it depends on the application, materials, and how it was assembled.

Again, we don't actively monitor this thread, and happen to stumble across your post. Please feel free to sign up in our forum so we can address your questions in a more timely manner and to wider audience.

Back