Advice for Hanging LED's

paradox_of_reef

I am looking to hang a Radion xr30 over my tank and I have never done a project like this before so I was hoping to get any advice from anyone who has hung light fixtures for their reef tank before. The tank is against the wall so I could hang from the wall or the ceiling.

No, I haven't committed to buying any specific kit just yet. I was waiting to get some feedback from other users before buying a specific item.

Do you recommend the hanging kit that ecotech makes for the radions?

I purchased the hang kit and loved it...came with the template and all the hardware. All you need is a Phillips and measuring tape

I hung my Reefbreeder LEDs from my ceiling over my tank. Simply cut a hole (carefully measured) for each hanger, two per LED, in the ceiling and used a toggle bolt in each opening to ensure I had a good hold. Provided an escutcheon on the exposed side of the ceiling and used a j-hook along with the toggle. Bought some cheap chain and ran that down from the j-hook to the light fixture supports that came with the fixture. I can take a picture tonight and upload it; pretty simple in all.

I purchased the hang kit and loved it...came with the template and all the hardware. All you need is a Phillips and measuring tape
I got the hanging kit.
Did you need to find studs in your ceiling or did you just screw into ceiling material?

I've been getting mixed info on this in my reading can I get away with drilling just into my drywall or do I need to find a stud in the wall to be safe.

I didn't use studs...I use the drywall anchors and they worked well.
It would be really difficult to find studs on the ceilings, but it also depends on how many lights and how wide your set up is.

My set up was one xr30, so it was easier to use the anchors.

Im going to post a picture on my tank journal if you want to check it out.

When I was setting up my tank I really did not want to hang my light from the ceiling. I had a piece of 3/4" emt bent to shape and painted it black and attached the pipe to the stand. I can adjust height at the light or move the pipe up or down.

c3fd3196-3e90-4735-9498-f605deddfb1f_zpsnzu7c99p.jpg

Height adjustment from the back. before being painted.
74e730a5-81af-4323-b90e-02466d5a11bb_zpsyw7ofpdd.jpg

Last edited:
Back