Advice on a tank upgrade

lieberca

Howdy all. I've been in this hobby for 25 years now, and have always preferred nanos for the challenge and the smaller expenditures. My latest has been a 16G Nuvo reef that was set up "for my daughter" 4 years ago. Been growing SPS, softies, and zoas like crazy, and have actually come to enjoy the occasional battle with pests (aptasia hunting actually gets fun, six-line wrasses are magical in eliminating flatworms, ...).

Now my daughter is at the age where she wants to be a marine biologist when she grows up (5th grade, but I'll relish it while it lasts). And I'm at the point where I've done this long enough and have budgeted enough that I want to do it any way I please. And I gotta feed her desire to be a marine biologist, right?

So I know I'm about to get sucked into the planning stage that I love, and where the advice of local chiseled veterans is most valuable. It's been a while since I posted anything, but I'm gonna be peppering you guys in the coming months!

First step: picking a tank and stand.
-For house-dimensional reasons my maximum tank dimensions are 40"x18". So I won't be doing a huge setup, but those are the dimensions I have to stay within.
-I've always wanted to build a reef with a long aspect ratio. Have done cubes and squarish tanks, so the grass looks greener now with long tanks.
-I want a high-quality setup that makes me proud of my 25 years of service in the hobby. Not expensive or full of apparatus I won't use, but sexy.
-I've looked at CADLights, Red Sea, Acquasole and Elos (ok, Elos is still way more than I'd every spend). They all have the look I'm after, but none have a long tank that stays within my 40x18 max footprint. CADLights has a 30x18, but that's not wide enough and I'm leery of their quality. And Deep Blue has a 57G that would fit, but I'd have to custom drill for a Herbie drain and install a new overflow--plus I'm not keen on their stands.
-I've just sent out bids for a custom rig from Miracles, Coast to Coast, and Aquacosm. Still waiting to see estimates. I've heard Reef Savvy is top of the heap, but I am scared by their cost and wait time.

So with all that rambling done, I ask you SLASHers: what should I get?

A 40 breeder is pretty close to what you're looking for. There is a nice one listed here with a really cool overflow already drilled.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Here is my in progress 40 breeder for reference. They have a great L x W x H ratio, and can be had at Petco for $40 during their tank sales. They do require drilling but it's not difficult.

EEDgq3bqCFpUbozG4fW086YDqLfa3dMgbW98QdMJS60iYprAmDyiO6Bf3G5O2QC1BbBbfk-J61TPpPtecyvxlDhs3GMahP_dXEJ2uCSERBRNRIpZWDjhO_v7Ie8qDEVpaUcA3DpGIcU05h5aXefAmUp269xur4dZHPjfPIeDyz8OF0yXLBv5YZhryDuhfZpsU_yE1T8VGT0RJLTs5dEL-gAZHzstklQqETcGlPzz5uhq6hhrRaQOa1wwUUHhjBs4CyhvaD2qFXECAAz3jS0cdPrgl8PP9_cPtjchj9WeygnUcinKWWW-Tjh9eJi7ZNETTVTePc3Y9k524ujFXWOWl-kRnpAS_edmxxQle91LziaYfA6ne_R0df_VsUvz6dRF1Cn_I74Jc6AwZ0nZy78imWndJ60JAT8xwOhnK4UcZYmRr0ATG-u0PY-enjgW6BX8AnZsPrlrIwnyqDrxSWPSBQ_4I8JSMRyy66-iwziTilVzo4CnPpJ5g9jDVWSGIZ6Dad8CqrlLMVLp3UDnZ_PYvzjHxKkiAZ9Kkku-0t6aCz8pJDFtKPYGRIN5npiPHMEhDQ_R1LHAj0cFNlmtfuUuuPPOeXpuycPPeo1ObIhxN_gus1Fo35N9=w558-h743-no

LHIEpe80zlZgzHmiSc3Kw70m-izLGUzZ_peP4_knzIEp3tZEZHWsIZu9A2Wkay1BZ8-iNC_4TLLTBKOIEzzdrAUhJ6bam7RN3Ck7aXjfaZDqFactx1WHDGmoZ-3XgQO27PncAnTNQG-wvswrmUnRQRK8O8ZZ9aMMM6AQcghWW0eHfGf99G7834e4KMk3YCXj9jqxXhmpJz3OqTq3BjqLFgW1IBwvdANOyJj-JAKduRzuZqTySELiizmlVGppL5yXCE7JxKIrwGs2hX5hGylG95xMqvEhQ_1qtbbnxBqeWwFfM5FzejVo0z8iLPcN6GXQcPwz31G9SHnpytnn33jx7ozeLWgEgm6Y6dg9ajfTTeVQ3bzCbdsndTMNaDK961xO3XErgeuZCaFeUbVTvYrUHYQl02JZ7JbHJT8EIonIe5BzpVsLIGOP9cIAloRvs45AFqXehbKjMPdCl3_6CpKbwdfgd5e1fcQrae6FSlOwd0E2Kw6WDOfHOcLviFEezWg68vesj3hV_oBQnWiC6ehtRS_q3M_En4NTnUlyK5oa5B2hnrPBIUy68kbD72PBgzb8wEtGG7gHj_BGKtpe_ruBUpwwgEqtBLdIULr824szTScHJfRq0SH0=w991-h743-no

I personally think 58s are too tall, making aquascape difficult, especially if they have a full center overflow.

I think the 57 gallon would be a perfect fit for your space. 36"x18"x21" are good dimensions. 48" wide is really the next step in tank size so the 36" works well. The 18" deep allows for good aquascaping depth and 21" is a good depth not to deep to reach your arm into. If you really want to maximize the tank space go with a ghost overflow and plumb it with a Bean Animal setup. This is the overflow I run on my 120 and have been super impressed with it. Plus I do not have any corner overflows to deal with.

Mine is a 65 36x18x24. Not much different from the 58. 3" in height I believe. I had a ton of rock from another tank. But the 24" is difficult to work in well for me I'm not tall

I agree with all of you! Always liked the proportions of a 40 breeder, but an inch or few extra height would be an easy way to get more volume for the footprint.

reefer96, that's looking great! When those frags grow out it's gonna look super sexy.

Guess I shoulda mentioned that I want to get a rimless setup, to get that sleek "zero-edge" line where the tank and stand mesh perfectly. Aside from how tall to make it, any advice on where to get one?

Talked to the guys at Aqua Lab Aquaria today, and they might be able to do a pre-production of this slick new overflow on a 48G (36x18x18, +/-). Super sleek, but I wonder if cleaning could cause problems:
https://www.nano-reef.com/forums/topic/373787-official-ala-product-launch-coming-soon/

Appreciate the input, and look forward to your advice!

Rimless tanks are a pain in the rear. Whenever you clean the glass water goes everywhere, plus you'll see a water line mark. I'd definitely avoid rimless, nothing sleek about them in real life.

I've kept rimless for the last dozen years and have always kept it clean. Obsessive about some things, to justify being lazy about others.:spin1:

I've kept rimless for the last dozen years and have always kept it clean. Obsessive about some things, to justify being lazy about others.:spin1:

You're one of the first people that I've ever heard say they like them. First time for everything:D

You can get the exact tank length, width, height and look you desire with a custom Acrylic tank. There may be a guy on here who would love to make you one too :)

I agree with all of you! Always liked the proportions of a 40 breeder, but an inch or few extra height would be an easy way to get more volume for the footprint.

reefer96, that's looking great! When those frags grow out it's gonna look super sexy.

Guess I shoulda mentioned that I want to get a rimless setup, to get that sleek "zero-edge" line where the tank and stand mesh perfectly. Aside from how tall to make it, any advice on where to get one?

Talked to the guys at Aqua Lab Aquaria today, and they might be able to do a pre-production of this slick new overflow on a 48G (36x18x18, +/-). Super sleek, but I wonder if cleaning could cause problems:
https://www.nano-reef.com/forums/topic/373787-official-ala-product-launch-coming-soon/

Appreciate the input, and look forward to your advice!

I love the look of that overflow but it has an issue which is a tank killer. It will clog and there is no way you can clean it. The tolerances are tight and here is true 90 degree bend at the bottom. The other issue is that there is absolutely no way to replace the bulkheads or seals on those bulkheads when they fail. For that matter you can't even tighten them once the overflow is on there.

Schplitter, that was exactly my concern. Probably not worth the risk to save a relatively small amount of tank real-estate. I also notice the new Reef Octopus LUX tanks are going a similar route. But I think I'll go with a standard corner overflow.

Back