Anyone been to key west

dantdodge

Wanted to know if anyone knows of some must do activities while there. Anyone know of reef that are only known by locals to snorkel or restraunts or excursions to do. Thanks in advance for any advice

I would think any reef worth knowing about is being used for profit.
We have been several times.
The lighthouse snorkel trip was pretty cool. They take you by boat and you are in pretty shallow water. It doesn't look like a reef tank but it was a good experience for us.
If you have time and money enough to go to Ft Jefferson I highly recommend that. Its maybe a 90 mile boat ride and you get dropped off at the Fort. Its a nice historical trip with good snorkeling around the back side and around the old dock.
Fogerty's on Duval is a great place for food and you can get a Firty Monkey from the Flying Monkey while you eat. It has alcohol and ice cream in it I think. Whats not to like? Lol

I think the best reefs are off of Key Largo if you want to dive/snorkel. The Tortugas day trip Rob mentioned is supposed to be really cool.

We lived in Marthon for 6 months in 2009, spent 3-4 nights a week in KW.

We would usually go to Conch Republic Seafood Company on Greene and Elizabeth, Caroline's Cafe on Duval, or Salsa Loca (behind/next to Cowboy Bill's) - none of them are high-end places, but good food and budget friendly.

When we felt like spending a little more, we went to red fish blue fish a few times and enjoyed it.

IIRC you can pick up some fresh boiled shrimp at the shrimp docks just after the boats come in as well.

If you will have a car, Hogfish Bar and Grill one island north was always good.

We were usually too busy working during the day to give input on things to do other than eat and drink. Make sure you go to the sunset festival at least once while you're there. The assessments about snorkeling/diving being better further north are pretty accurate. The boats out of KW are typically more the "party boat" type of excursion, designed to serve cruise ships more so than marine biology enthusiasts, but there are a few charters that can be had on the island.

Where will you be staying?

Check out the public aquarium. Most of it is kinda lame, but the lagoon is awesome.
Hemingway house is pricey. Tons of bars on and near Duval street. Must do is sunset at Mallory Square. If you haven't picked a date and your fairly adventurous, go during Fantasy Fest end of October. Kinda Mardi Gras with less hooligans and more nudity.:fun5:

Robthorn nailed it...all reefs for profit, unless your bringing your own boat. Check Looe Key trips. Short drive from Key West but nice reef.

Oh, if you have a sweet tooth, you have to get Key Lime pie on a stick.

never was impressed with any reefs around Key West, do yourself a favor and head down 45 minutes to Big Pine Key and do the Looe Reef snorkelling. impressive reef

Awesome thank you all for advice I am going to be off duval street

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

It seems like everyone is missing out on Fogerty's. Conch Republic is ok but we have that here in Pinellas. Even so the burger at Fogerty's is my choice but I like burgers. Fish are our friends not food.

Back