aptasia in pred tank

00nothing

i have a fair amount of aptasia in my tank and theres no way i could see any pepprmints making it for very long the plan is to add a copperbanded butterfly but i have heard that is hit and miss also any suggestions.....???

yep, works well. There are some home remidies too, but that stuff isn't terribly expensive and is better if your tank is <50 gal.

... People keep telling me Joes Juice also but when you're like me and you have 100's of little aptasia thats not very practical. What I found works well to keep them under control is to have a fuge in your system and keep peppermint shrimp in it and just rotate rocks down there every week. I tried a copperband once and it worked great until it died... I might try another one again soon now that I have a much larger tank. I'm just worried about one picking at my other corals and worms etc

I have used peppermint shrimp two occasions in two different tanks and it works perfectly, they eat all the aptasia

Definitely no peppermint shrimp in a predatory tank. I had the same problem in just one of my FOWLR systems. I have used Joe's Juice & kalkwasser - but they always came back. After nuking them with Joe's Juice and quarantining an auriga butterfly for 8 weeks, I added it to the tank. No aptasis now for over a year. Coincidence or not ?

Kelly

which butterfly do u feel is most likely to wipe out my flourishing aptasia collection

I wonder how nice a tank full of nothing but aptasia would be :)

Back