Aquaclear Filters!

cobs00

Is there any side effects to using these. I just put on a Aquaclear 110 on my 65 Gallon and I'm reading that it might be a good idea to take the foam insert out and just leave the media to avoid high nitrates. Any knowledhe out there?

I would only use it to run carbon. If you keep the filter media in there then make sure you keep it cleaned.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6499166#post6499166 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bubblevssqueek
If thats the filter im thinking about then you could put some live rock rubble and cheato in there?
sorry to jump in here but I was wondering the same thing. My sump isn't big enough for a fuge and I definately want one and was thinking about converting an AC into a fuge. Anyone done this or have experience with one?

Yep, I've got a modded AC70 on my 30g. If you search the equipment forum here and take a look on www.nano-reef.com there are lots of threads about creating mini fuges out of AC filters. Mine's full of Chaeto and keeps PO4 and NO3 at 0. I also have a standard AC70 on the other side of the tank with a sponge, bio-media and floss. I sometimes run carbon, and until I got the Chaeto I ran PhosGuard. I agree with keeping the media cleaned, I rinse mine in a container of water from the tank at least once a week and can't believe the gunk that comes off.

I have not had any luck finding any threads on creating a mini-fuge out of my AC70... Do you have any direct links? The Equipment forum here on RC changes so frequently I don't think anyone notices any new posts...

I use an the same filter on my 46 and I also use a magnum 350. In the aquaclear I use the foam insert only and 2 units of Chemi-Pure on top of that. In the magnum I only use a foam insert.

I have zero nitrates and have not had any nitrates for over 6 weeks now. (Actually it is the first time I have ever had zero nitrates)

But it takes some real discipline. I do weekly water changes of 8 gallons and I change out the filters in each unit. The foam insert in the Aquaclear you can clean and re-use. I have 2 filters and I just rotate them in and out. The magnum 350 I use a new one each week.

I also use the remora aqua c protien skimmer but I am not entirely happy with it's performance.

I guess I am beating the odds. I agree that crushed coral is a trap for waste but I guess I am doing a good job of keeping the tank clean and not overfeeding. When I first started the tank I converted it from fresh water with a reverse flow UGF. I took the UGF out but I left the crused coral in. I started out with about 15 nitrates and it slowly went down. Lots of water changes and taking care not to overfeed. Only 4 fish and no corals.

So whatever you can make work for you will work.

Good luck,

Regards,

Pat

Back