Aquarium & live rock left in yard need cleaning

halterday

Hello everyone!

I am glad to have the opportunity to gain insight from all of you. I know NOTHING about all of this and have been reading posts on this forum today to learn.

Here's my question:
My son purchased a new tank and put his 75 gallon (I think) older tank (with a bunch of purple live rock in it) in the back yard. The lid came off and I discovered about an inch of murky horrible water in the tank.

I would like to clean and use his old tank and rocks. I Googled the rock and it looks like real live rock (??). My son said it's expensive, so my assumption. Is that it was real.

What I can see is that it's a long process. I want to do it right., so thank you in advance for your input and help!

Sharon 😊

How long was the rock outside and what elements/temperatures was it exposed to? Sounds like it was left dry until the lid came off, so it likely is no longer live rock. But can still be used for a tank.

My first thought is to power wash it, soak it a bleach solution on a tub, then a freshwater soak (with dechlorinator), then maybe another power wash and final freshwater soak.

How long was the rock outside and what elements/temperatures was it exposed to? Sounds like it was left dry until the lid came off, so it likely is no longer live rock. But can still be used for a tank.

My first thought is to power wash it, soak it a bleach solution on a tub, then a freshwater soak (with dechlorinator), then maybe another power wash and final freshwater soak.
Thank you for your reply! It's been outside for months and I can imagine that the water has been there a long time too. :-/ The water was about a few inches deep, but I am sure that it was probably deeper at some point. The top part was dry all along, but the sad thing is that I took everything out and now I don't know which one was on the top and which one was in the water all the time.

Temperatures here in Southern California are warm/hot overall, so it's not a great scenario.

I will look for bleach solution suggestions and the dechlorinator options on threads, but can I soak them in the tank so the tank is sanitized too?

Thanks, again!

Thank you for your reply! It's been outside for months and I can imagine that the water has been there a long time too. :-/ The water was about a few inches deep, but I am sure that it was probably deeper at some point. The top part was dry all along, but the sad thing is that I took everything out and now I don't know which one was on the top and which one was in the water all the time.

Temperatures here in Southern California are warm/hot overall, so it's not a great scenario.

I will look for bleach solution suggestions and the dechlorinator options on threads, but can I soak them in the tank so the tank is sanitized too?

Thanks, again!

Griss is right on.

If you use bleach make sure it is pure bleach not scented, no thickeners, no color guards. Honestly I use pool chlorine it is higher concentration and cheaper. Just check the labels make sure nothing else is added.

Some will add another step and soak in vinegar, or muriatic acid, or citric acid. I like citric acid the best because safest and cheapest. This will dissolve the outer shell of the rock.
Do not leave it in too long though. I forgot some rock in it once and the bottom was all powder and the rock was soft. Citric acid is also good for cleaning pumps or anything of hard water. Just buy food grade so there is no additives. Some fish stores sell it too but can get a lot more from Amazon for a lot cheaper.

Thanks David, as I was typing my post I was thinking I was forgetting something, you posted it…vinegar/acid bath.

@halterday feel free to ask questions, that’s what we’re here for.

Back