Atlantic blue tang

ErosJN

Hey guys, anyone have experience raising the Atlantic blue tang? Stories, tips, pictures, all would be appreciated!

How long did you have him until he passed? I came across a little guy about 1.5 inches big at a LFS for 15 bucks last night. He's skinny and upon inspecting him under my full spectrum LEDs I noticed about 5 white dots over his body.. My much larger yellow tang was harassing him last night but today they left him alone. He's been eating like a champ, I feed a home made fish food that includes scallops, fish, shrimp, oysters, seaweed, and crab all blended up. I also feed nori sheets daily. I'm hoping he makes a good recovery and ends up being a nice show piece. He's in a 210 gallon RR.. I'll try to get some photos tomorrow!

Had one that was changing. Unfortunately it did not make 3 weeks in qt. once I upgrade I plan on keeping one.

I have had mine a couple months. Passed the will it die phase. Been eating well since day 1 and so far is a model citizen. Hangs out with the Vlamingi. Very aggressive eater.
Great fish that appears mishandled when collected. I am sure there are good suppliers and stores with only healthy specimens but that from what I have seen is not the norm.
I got mine at Faois and I think it was in their system a few weeks.
With fish health lately I think I am going back to my long ago rule of 3 weeks in the store or I won't buy it. I have had horrible luck with anything less in this tank.

Its my favorite fish. I bought mine when it was a juvenile, completely yellow. He's been a great fish and have had him for 4 years now.

It surprises me these fish have trouble adjusting to captivity since many of them are probably caught in Florida waters.

Right. So far my little guy adjusted extremely well, almost immediately. He was malnourished and looked like he may not have made it another day or 2 at the LFS, but within a day he was eating tons of meaty food and nori, his stomach is always plump now. Evidence of ich is almost completely gone. He actively swims around with the other tangs I have (Naso, yellow, and hippo), I've been meaning to snap some photos of him but my hours working as a surgical tech is never set, hopefully I'll have some shots this week!

Back