Basic 15G tank

colodano

Hi all,
My big tank has stayed with my ex up in Toronto, so I wanted to get a small tank for my apartment. Decided to go with a standard 15G glass tank and AC70 filter for now. This should be enough to give me a tank to spend time with, and not take up too much space.

Right now I am trying to decide on aquascape. With the way I have it now, the big shelf blocks a lot of light from lower in the tank, so I may switch it around. The light may need to come closer as well, but I have some time allowing it to cycle the dry rock before I worry about that as much.

11 lbs of dry rock, and about 6 of live rock from my LFS, and 20 lbs of sand, hopefully it cycles fairly quickly, as I look forward to adding some zoas and lps in there, and probably a pair of clowns, some CUC and a firefish for starters, maybe something else down the road.
xYuhU8N

That rock must be really dense, it looks lonely lol. I have about the same in a 13.5 G and it is much more full.
3dd72d0cc15afc7e0c211d605957c1ad.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is fairly dense, that doesn't help with the light breaking through either. I am going to add another piece tonight, and move the main structure around.

Yeah, I like more live rock. But I suppose it depends on that you plan to put into the tank and allow for growth if you plan on adding corals.

I have a similar tank.
attachment.php

IMG_20181111_182715-02.jpg

A year and some later, I might as well post how the tank is doing.. Rearranged the rockscape, and added some small frags. Some have grown super well, others very slowly. I have cheato in the AC70, and a skimmer for the inlet, seems to work great.

HYnDJHuh.jpg

Sp5od4jh.jpg

aRfXuW0h.jpg

Mp25tlVh.jpg

bBvZXVMh.jpg

Looks like what you are doing is working well [MENTION=351887]colodano[/MENTION] !

Please share some close-up pics of your AC70 configuration, including the skimmer on the inlet. What other equipment are you using? Lighting? Circulation/flow? How about choice of salt and maintenance routine, etc?

I will have to get some pic of the filter parts, but its a premade box that fits into the main chamber for a filter floss piece, and the main portion is open for my cheato, some ikea led lights on top.
Skimmer box is also something I bought. magnetic, good size, holds the sensor for my ato.
Light is an Ai prime HD, started with a premade schedule but modified it a ton.
Flow is the combo of the AC70, and an MP10 on Reef Crest mode, close to the lowest flow it gives though.
I do water changed with my local lfs Kent marine and RO water, they are great at the mix, its always spot on 1.025. My ato is a smart micro, awesome for a nano.

That's it for now, my 90 up in Toronto is similar, but she fills the ato with tap water, I guess it tests out well according to the company that does water changes.

Sounds great [MENTION=351887]colodano[/MENTION] ... look forward to seeing more pics when you get them.

I forgot to get back to this, and then was out of town for awhile.... so...

Here is the view of the filter box from the back...
1CPIlZ4h.jpg

A top shot of the skimmer box, with the smart ato sensor inside.

qaYAFXnh.jpg

A shot from the side of the skimmer box.. And I bought this from Oceanbox designs.

GHDI76Xh.jpg

And a random shot of corals today..

sXUpPVAh.jpg

what light are you using for the macro in the fuge?
Just some cheap Ikea led pucks. I am sure it might do better with more light, but it works, unless I feed a ton there is never any algae in the tank.
Switched everything over to a 20 long last weekend, need to take some new photos, it has been awhile. I like having more room to spread some stuff out, I should probably add some more rock in there as well.

Back