Best free codecs besides DivX?

Cody Ray

DivX no longer runs on Windows 98 (which I have :eek: ) so I need a codecs download. What is the best (and free) codec available?

Try here ----> http://www.divxmovies.com/codec/

There are many free DivX players out there. Maybe us forum users will post what we use and if it is compatible with your O/S.

I use VLC Media Player for my DivX flicks. Their site says it may or may not be compatible with Win98.
Go here to get it ----> http://www.videolan.org/.

Also, make sure you have the latest video drivers for your video card and that they are for Win98. If you are using any BETA video drivers, then revert back a stable one if you have it.

HTH

Thanks, I downloaded the newest 98 version from divxmovies.com. Also updated DirectX. I'm starting to think that I am going to have to pony up and get a new video card. Do you know if Gateway cases can house brand name processors?

Your Gateway already has a brand name processor(CPU). But, unfortunately for you, it is very old and you won't find a faster CPU to put in that baby that would give you a noticeable increase in performance. If you got windows 98, then you prolly have an older and slower processor (CPU).

My suggestion would be to hold back for awhile on new purchases for your reef and save some dough for a new tower. Not necessarily "new", but you can have someone build you a pretty nice system for about $400.00 - $500.00. You could also go and buy an E-Machines tower and hook it up to your existing monitor/keyboard/mouse/printer and go that route for about $300.00!

If you can't afford any of that right now, then an increase in RAM (your computers memory) would be a good choice. You can find older RAM sticks and someone to install them for you at rock bottom prices right now.

Either way you are going to have to get rid of that old Gateway! ;)

If you lived out here by me in the QC, then I would be happy to take a look at your system free of charge and make you some better recommendations! But, Phoenix is a loooong way from here. I'm closer to Oro Valley/Tucson, than I am to PHX. :(

*edit* - I forgot you mentioned video card. Many older Gateways and the like use shared memory from your system for an on-board video card. You would have to find a smaller PCI Video Card to fit in that baby. Depending on which model of Gateway you have, it might even have an Accelerated Graphics Port (AGP) which you could use for a better video card. Even if you update just the video card, it would prolly not be compatible with a future computer purchase and you have to trash it.

Thanks, I tryed to tell my mother that a gateway was a bad idea, she wouldn't listen ;) We have had problems with it since day 1!

Yes, but many companies like Dell, HP, and Gateway among others... try to limit the upgradeability of their computers so that you 'need' a new one (like this situation). That's why I started building my own! I've only made 2, but have already saved a ton of money on computer insurance!

Back