Best pump for a 1/10 hp chiller

you really think a mj would be enough? a 1200 puts out 295gph at 0' and i believe the minimum gph for the chiller is 300. would there be any problems running a chiller with less gph than recommended. i was looking to use a mag 5 but if a mj 1200 will work thats great less cost up front and cheap to run. anyone else have thoughts on using a mj1200 to feed a chiller?

mj wont cut it, you are right about the minimum flow for the chiller not being met. I went with a Mag 7, but have not setup the system yet. I do not know what the chiller head loss is but I figured the range of flow for the chiller was 300-800 and at most the Mag 7 would do is 700, neglecting head loss, so it puts me in the middle somewhere.

A Mag5 could probably do it just as well. Have you though about asking the place you bought the chiller?

thats what i thought. a pump that dosent even do the recommended gph at 0' head wont be efficient with 4 feet of tubing to the chiller and back. i would go with the mag 5. it will put you at 350ish gph which would make it most efficient. you dont want the water going to fast or it wont have the time to chill.

Well, i have a uniquarium also with a chiller. Since you're very limited on the size of pump you can use in the sump area, i use a rio 14 hyperflo. It's small, doesn't use many watts and runs at over 800gph at 0 head. Great pump and after about 6 feet of hose still give quite a bit of flow to the bulkhead.

If you are using Uniaquarium then Mag5 or 7 since the return back to the display. If you have a sump then I would use MJ since the water make the contact with the chiller longer.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6824209#post6824209 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by plugpitch
hey, it sounds like some people are interested in articas. you should start a group buy Max.

how do you start a group buy? and how is it gonna be paid?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6826209#post6826209 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by hitekfreak
If you are using Uniaquarium then Mag5 or 7 since the return back to the display. If you have a sump then I would use MJ since the water make the contact with the chiller longer.

I don't have a sump but I've been thinking adding it to my uniquarium. How do you do plumbing on a uniquarium? If you could tell me what parts needed and how to do it, would really appreciate it .:rollface:

Back