Biodenitrator Setup Advice

I decided to install a biodenitrator, which I plan on installing in about a week or so. I will be using a Korallin S-1502. One of my concerns is the creation of acidic water or the lowering of the system's pH.

A the moment, I am running a calcium reactor (Korallin C-3002) with ARM aragonite and Brightwell Aquatics Neo-Mag. At the other end of the sump I have a chaeto chamber and a Vortex rxu1.5 with Rowaphos and a bag of activated carbon in one of the drain socks. This is on a 180 DT with a 60 gal sump filled a little over half.

So far, the overall system's pH has been holding at 8.1-8.2 while the effluent in the calcium reactor is at 6.6-6.75.

It has been suggested that aragonite be added in a second chamber or on top of the sulfur media to help raise the pH of the effluent and prevent calcium depletion. I will be using the Korallin media kit, which includes the sulfur and some aragonite. However, I have read that the pH of the sulfurized effluent is not low enough to dissolve the aragonite in order to create usable calcium and thus not all that helpful to stabilize the pH.

I was thinking of connecting the sulfur reactor outlet into the calcium reactor inlet, but some additional reading suggested that the flow required to keep the sulfur anaerobic will be too slow to make the calcium reactor effective.

Others have suggested dripping the biodenitrator effluent into the phosphate reactor's ferrous oxide media to neutralize the pH but that just doesn't seem feasible without some seriously drastic modifications to the reactor.

Another thought that occurred was to tee the biodenitrator effluent outlet into the inlet/feed hose of the calcium reactor, thus forcing the sulfur effluent into the calcium reactor, while keeping a sufficient flow into the calcium reactor. Not sure though if that would actually work (both reactors will be fed by a Tom's aqualifter pump).

Any suggestions/ideas on which of the approaches is best, or am I way over-thinking this and should just run the biodenitrator as a stand-alone from the other equipment, dripping into the sump?

Biodenitrator Setup Advice

I run mine with my carx fine. I use a ato with kalk to keep my ph around 8.3. Don't over think it rubbing them desperate is fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I did exactly what you are trying and a Tom's Aqua Lifter will not work. I would at least look into the Avast style pump or invest in a 24/7 industrial peri pump Maxisomething sorry I forgot the brand even though I have one.

I did exactly what you are trying and a Tom's Aqua Lifter will not work. I would at least look into the Avast style pump or invest in a 24/7 industrial peri pump Maxisomething sorry I forgot the brand even though I have one.
Curious why it didn't work, since it seems it needs low flow and is designed to be gravity fed. Can you tell me about your experience with the aqualifter?
I have a Digital Aquatics DP1 I can also use. I was planning on trying it on the calcium reactor but I can use it for the biodenitrator just as well

Sent from around the way using Tapatalk

You need to be able to adjust the effluent of the sulfur denitrator so it can have time for the anaerobic bacteria to break down the nitrates.

I run mine of a manifold from my main return pump. It have my calcium reactor driven by my masterflex peristaltic pump. This combo works great. Topping off my ato with kalk helps keep my ph in 8.15-8.3 throughout the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My equipment and media have arrived, except for the ORP probe, which should come in sometime next week. I'm itching to get the reactor started this weekend so the bacteria starts seeding.
I plan on leaving the probe sit in the sump's water column for 2-3 days to ensure accurate calibration. (it's been my experience with DA probes they need that at a minimum to stabilize).
My question is, if I set up the reactor, then add the probe a few days later - would enough oxygen get in to throw everything off whack or Is it best to wait until the probe stabilizes?

Sent from around the way using Tapatalk

Back