Black ich (Paravortex)

MarliesM

Hi everyone,

I have a special request, and hope someone might help me out on this. I am a PhD student in the Zoology lab at Hasselt University, Belgium. I am currently working on evolution of endosymbiotic (i.e. living inside the body of another species) flatworms.

One of the flatworm species I am interested in is Paravortex sp. (Turbellaria, Rhabdocoela). I know both from literature, as well as from diverse hobby forums, that this worm can cause tremendous damage in saltwater aquaria. It causes the so-called "black spot disease" or "black ich" in various species of marine fish. As the name implies, the disease is characterised by the appearance of several small, black spots all over the fish. Especially tangs appear to be quite vulnerable to the infection.

However, until now, the species has never been studied in depth, and that's where I need your help. I am looking for someone who is currently dealing with a black ich infection in his or her tank, and who is willing to send over some pictures of the animals, or, if possible, to even send over a couple of worms to Belgium (e.g. in alcohol or formaldehyde). I will of course cover any shipping costs and, if you are interested, will keep you up to date on my research of the worms.
If you are the person I am looking for, or if you know someone who could help me out on this, please let me know. Thank you in advance!

Cheers,
Marlies

I can’t help you much but I can bump the thread for you. Hope you can find someone to help you:)

Hi Jongalt!
Thanks for your reply, I'm so sorry I did not see this earlier! I wish I had gotten an email notification or something.. I assume you have by now been able to get rid of your worms? :) Thanks for thinking about this thread though!
Cheers,
Marlies

Back