Bubble Magus BM-180A Protein Skimmer?

asmodyus

Bubble Magus BM-180A Protein Skimmer

So I found on this on ebay for a really good price almost to good to be true is it good for a fully stocked 120 with 40 gallon sump?

The package is a decent deal.

The atman pumps are not very energy efficient.

But your mind is in the right area.

I purchased the BM180 EX which was the largest skimmer that this particular eBay vendor had about 8 months ago.

Skimmer body rated up to 400 gallons. Cone body with cup roughly 11.05"x9.05"x25.40".

I offered $210 and they accepted. (Free shipping/no sales tax) I ended selling the pump that came with it for $20.

Note the skimmer originally was an internal pump design.

After much research as to how the ITech series skimmer were so successful I noticed they utilized the Tunze Hydrofoamer. Energy efficient strong air turbulent specs.

I picked up a used 9430.04 Hydrofoamer supposedly rated up to 792 gallons. (Tunze claims)

I scavenged all the original parts from the eBay package plus some PVC fittings at Home Depot.

I had much more success implementing the bubble diffuser to keep rock solid tuning stability.

I modded everything together, pump is on the exterior and now I have an ITech like inspired creation. Well suited for my bare bottom total 340 gallon water volume zoa/LPS system.

Total investment $290.

Pulls extremely well and dead silent!

The only way this would be a better designed skimmer would be if I had a slightly larger skimmer body so I could crank up the tunze pump a little more. 8 inch body expanded to a 10 inch body would be nice. Or if I had the room a way to expand the neck another 3 - 5 inches. Larger the reaction chamber, the more effective your skimmer will be.

The BM skimmer body quality is so so. The acrylic is not super thick,but if you don't drop the skimmer and crack it, than this doesn't effect anything mechanically speaking.

Makes you think how much marginal profit space skimmers have. This forum offers really nice wisdom sharing threads. You just have to read through all the opinions to collectively create an original cost effective idea.

The reason I was going to sell this skimmer was because it developed a small hum and I didn't know why. Turns out salt creep got into my air intake adjustment clogging the feed causing the pump to cavitate. Simply pour some hot RO water down the intake to clear the line. Back to awesome again, no more sound and stronger bubbie production!

Last edited:

I purchased the BM180 EX which was the largest skimmer that this particular eBay vendor had about 8 months ago.

Skimmer body rated up to 400 gallons. Cone body with cup roughly 11.05"x9.05"x25.40".

I offered $210 and they accepted. (Free shipping/no sales tax) I ended selling the pump that came with it for $20.

After much research as to how the ITech series skimmer were so successful I noticed they utilized the Tunze Hydrofoamer. Energy efficient strong air turbulent specs.

I picked up a used 9430.04 Hydrofoamer supposedly rated up to 792 gallons. (Tunze claims)

I scavenged all the original parts from the eBay package plus some PVC fittings at Home Depot.

I had much more success implementing the bubble diffuser to keep rock solid tuning stability.

I modded everything together, pump is on the exterior and now I have an ITech like inspired creation. Well suited for my bare bottom total 340 gallon water volume zoa/LPS system.

Total investment $290.

The only way this would be a better designed skimmer would be if I had a slightly larger skimmer body so I could crank up the tunze pump a little more. 8 inch body expanded to a 10 inch body would be nice. Or if I had the room a way to expand the neck another 3 - 5 inches. Larger the reaction chamber, the more effective your skimmer will be.

The BM skimmer body quality is so so. The acrylic is not super thick,but if you don't drop the skimmer and crack it, than this doesn't effect anything mechanically speaking.

Makes you think how much marginal profit space skimmers have. This forum offers really nice wisdom sharing threads. You just have to read through all the opinions to collectively create an original cost effective idea.

The reason I was going to sell this skimmer was because it developed a small hum and I didn't know why. Turns out salt creep got into my air intake adjustment clogging the feed causing the pump to cavitate. Simply pour some hot RO water down the intake to clear the line. Back to awesome again, no more sound and stronger bubbie production!

Thanks yeah this dealer has the 180 for well little bit less not sure if I can quote exact price, not sure on the exact rules of talking about ebay but with shipping come just around 200 dollars for the 180 Now there also offering the Bubble Magus BM-220A Protein Skimmer for about 2 and half and some change so not sure if I should go with the bigger version seems for the money I am not going to get a better deal.

Now I take these are older models as when I look them up there no longer for sale or there using the Sicce pumps now.

Is there such thing as to much of a skimmer I am thinking about getting the Bubble Magus BM-220A for my 120 with a 40 gallon sump its rated up to 400 gallon. Just think for the money I cannot go wrong unless somebody can offer me a better one for 250 or less.

I suggest getting the skimmer body as big as you can which makes good sense ergonomically in your sump. The pump is what makes the skimmer.

Make sure to pair the right pump with the skimmer body. God forbid you get a pump too big or too small.

Just look at skimmer sizes and dimensions. For example an SRO INT3000 is paired with a bubble blaster 3000. The skimmer body is 8 inches.

The SRO INT5000 is a 10 inch body paired with a BB5000 pump.

I chose the highest model Tunze Hydrofoamer simply because they are still low wattage and I found a sweet deal on one. Now that I think about it I paid $110 and they retail for $250.

Is my pump maybe too powerful for my skimmer, possibly. I have it only cranked about 50%. But boy does it do an awesome job and I certainly feel a sense of pride saving money to create something as equally good or stronger as some of the mainstream manufactures.

Love my Frankenstein skimmer!

If my pump dies. Next go around I may go with a level two Hydrofoamer or maybe a BB3000 pump. Like I said, you just need the skimmer body.

I plan on keeping the body till I drop it or get out of the hobby. No reason to not use it.

Honestly, the cone design is nice but I wish I could have gotten my hands on a SRO INT3000 skimmer body. People claim the less cone design is much more consistent of keeping a foam head and due to the wider neck it technically has more reaction area space. But those skimmer are double what I paid for my "mutt" skimmer.

Good luck!

Last edited:
yeah there a lot in that area I have down to 3

Bubble Magus BM-220A Protein Skimmer w/Atman ph4000 260-396gal $274 shipped

ESHOPPS PSK-200 Protein Skimmer w/Sicce Italy Pump PSK-600 150-200g $225 shipped

Reef Octopus NWB 200 Classic Protein Skimmer Hailea OTP 3000 Pinwheel Pump 150-250g $289 Shipped

I just got the eshopps s-300. So far it's been working great. Has a sicce pump. I hear the air intake more than the pump. Look at the cone s-200.

actually just found an awesome deal on a ASM G-4 Protein Skimmer w/ Sedra 5000 Pump anybody know about these skimmers?

I have the Euro-Reef Version with the same pump. Great skimmer for the age. But like bobby said try to go with a body that would allow upgrading if you plan to get bigger tank.

No I pretty much going to stop at 120 and looks like for a skimmer that in the 250 price range. Looks like the Bubble Magus BM-220A or the ASM G-4 is going to be my best bet.

There is a guy on the national form, JediMasterBen selling a nwb-150 w/ Bubble blaster hy-2000 pump. I think this would a killer skimmer if you have the room in your sump. It's basically an SRO-2000.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2417189

Thanks but I remembering reading somewhere that body is little to small for that pump

that why I am looking at the 220 or the ASM G4 larger bodies, but a great deal nerveless I just trying to find the best bang for buck and 250 is pretty much the limit I wanna stay at becuase I know there a couple really good ones for 300 to 350 and I cannot stretch that far.

Okay down to 2 different ones recommendations on these 2

G-4 Protein Skimmer Reef Geek
Bubble Magus BM-220A Protein Skimmer. Ebay

OR save my monies because I really don't need an over-sized Skimmer Ebay

I know that 3 but hey cannot decide.

Not sure how that pump is too big for that body. The sro-2000 uses the same body and pump, and that is the exact pump most people use as an upgrade from the otp-2000. I know the hy-3000 will turn it into a cannon. With that said, I've heard alot of great things about the G-4 skimmers.

Not sure how that pump is too big for that body. The sro-2000 uses the same body and pump, and that is the exact pump most people use as an upgrade from the otp-2000. I know the hy-3000 will turn it into a cannon. With that said, I've heard alot of great things about the G-4 skimmers.

Did some more research you are correct, but still people saying that the 8" Reef body is the better body.

Anyways Yeah not sure I might actually go with the bubble magus 180a and save the money and maybe even upgrade the pump on it and get rid of the atman pumps. think the GSM is just going to be a large beast and will limit what else I can put into my sump. And well the 220a might be to much for the 120

Total investment $290.

any more pictures or details mate as my ph4000 has broken on my BM-220a so need a replacement pump or equivalent

cheers

Back