Camera purchase advice

returnofsid

Okay, I'm back with more questions. I did have another thread about this but responses dwindled out quickly so I'm starting another. I apologize in advance if that's inappropriate.

As I said in my other thread, I currently own a Kodak EasyShare Z760 Point and Shoot Digital Camera. I'm ready to upgrade. I'd originally thought I wanted to upgrade to a DSLR camera and am still leaning that direction. However, based on a few replies to my other thread, I'm also considering upgrading to a better P&S camera. I've also, because of responses, been looking for used cameras as well.

In the DSLR category, I'd originally narrowed my search down to the Canon Rebel XT or XTi, the Nikon D40 or D40x and the Sony A100 Alpha. After some thought, I'm now also looking for used Nikon D50 or Nikon D70, Canon Rebel or Rebel XT used.

In the P&S category, I've kind of narrowed things down to the Canon S4 or S5 or the Canon G7.

My dilemma... If I go the DSLR route, will the kit lense be adequate for my needs? Most of my shooting will be of my tanks, family trips...that kind of stuff. Will I end up needing to spend hundreds more for lenses? Is it a HUGE learning curve to learn to use DSLR adequately for my needs?

If I go P&S, will I soon want to upgrade from that?? LOL. The Canon G7 would cost me $450.00 or more for a 10 megapixel P&S. If I went with a Canon Rebel XT (350D) I'd be getting an 8.2 DSLR and have seen them for around $600.00 new, cheaper used. Would I benefit from spending $150.00 more and getting the Rebel XT?

Uggghh, so many things to think about...lol. I am not at all afraid of the learning curve. Heck, it's gotta be easier than learning to keep reefs!! I've always been one to study and learn anything I'm interested in. I am afraid of the idea of needing to spend hundreds or thousands more on lenses...lol. I mean, if I needed to spend a few hundred dollars down the road for a macro lens or something, that'd be fine...as long as it's something that still puts me above the quality of a P&S.

Any suggestions, ideas, directions to point me in?? Anyone have a decent used camera for sale??? lol.

Please, I'm begging...I need LOTS of feedback here.

I was just deciding between the canon rebel XTi and canon 30D. I was convinced into going with the 30D because it is the newer camera and has a few more features.

I was told that the nikon's are a more user friendly camera, a little easier to use. I would say for the money, canon has around the same camera for a few hundred dollars less, sometimes even nikon for a few hundred more has a few more mp from what I looked at.

I went with the 30D over the XTi because people said it is a little more advanced and has a more heavy feel to it. There are amazing pictures taken with the XTi and XT on here. Will the kit lens those come with work for you? I doubt it. I also wanted lenses for macros of my tank (most pics on this forum are macros) nad vacation type of things. I ended up with the 30D and the kit lens of the 28-135mm lens, that lens is around $500 new anyway, so it comes with a nice lens. The other lens I ordered was the canon 100mm f/2.8 lens. There are amazing pictures taken with that macro lens here on RC, so I went with that one.

I think the 18-55mm lens isn't much of a lens, I haven't ever used it, but I am basing that on what other people said on RC and people from stores, saying you will basically replace it right away. So, if you do go with the XT or XTi, I would say go body only and pick up some lenses for macros/vacationing/family.

The 2 lenses might run close to 1k though, sometimes a lot more if you get into those really expensive lenses :lol:

As far as digital slr's you will wind up spending more than a few hundred dollars in lenses. The kit lens (specifically the Canon as I have little experience with Nikon) is fine for everyday photos, but it will have it's limitations as it will not allow you to grow.

As t5Nitro has said two lenses (specifically the ones he picked out) are close to a thousand on top of the six to eight hundred for the rebel or xti respectively.

The Canon and Nikon units are great cameras.

Fwiw, I go on family outings and vacations in general to enjoy myself with family. I don't like lugging around a one or two pound of glass and metal around my neck if the intention is to enjoy family time. A point and shoot or no camera at all allows me to enjoy that time spent, but that's just me.

If you peruse through this forum you will get a chance to see what everybody is using or you can simply do a search with a particular camera in mind and pull all the threads which contain that camera. I've been trying to decide on which camera for a year and a half now, I finally made my decision based on feel of how the camera felt in my hands and how the controls felt in my hands.

If you are looking for someone to say buy X, then you may not find that answer here.

Good luck.

I'm not looking for someone to tell me what to buy. I'm looking for advice so that I can make an informed decision. I understand what you're saying about lugging around a heavy camera on vacation. For those times, I do have my P&S camera, which is adequate. I'm looking for more flexibility with photos of my tanks, more flexibility when it comes time to take pics of my children's proms, graduations...and that sort of thing. Yes, I will also take the camera on vacations and when we go somewhere where I want those extra great shots, I'd use the new camera.

Before digital this was no different. My Dad had a nice SLR camera and my Mom had a cheap P & S and a Polaroid. I had a nice SLR and my wife had a cheap P & S. Our family albums are stuffed full of pictures taken with the P & S cameras. For family things it just seemed like such a big production when the "Men" got out their "Man" cameras. :lol:

SteveU

Back