Can I dose nitrate solution?

jjencek

I am dosing Sodium Nitrate every other day by dissolving it in the tank water.

Is there any reason why I should not premix a larger amount of the powder in water and dose it in liquid form for days? It just would be easier not mixing it every day.

The only potential problem would be if you were adding fresh water, your tank's salinity could drift down over time. So use tank water or premixed new salt water.

The only potential problem would be if you were adding fresh water, your tank's salinity could drift down over time. So use tank water or premixed new salt water.

Would it be the opposite? If I used salt water, it would add salt to the tank. My evaporated water is automatically added using ATO. This way it would add less RODI water because of the salt water in the mix.

It is probably not important either way because we are talking very small amount added each day.

Only if you add saltwater higher in salinity than your tank's would you increase the salinity. Ideally it would have the same salinity as your tank's. Your ATO replaces fresh water lost to evaporation, keeping salinity stable.

It would definitely take a while for salinity to change, depending on the total water volume. It happened to me, with a 180 gallon tank. I was thawing frozen food in fresh water and feeding with a turkey baster. So I was adding fresh water to the tank, in addition to what the ATO was adding. I started losing seagrass, and luckily found that salinity had drifted down too low. I corrected it and was able to save my seagrasses.

So it can happen. It's easy enough to check salinity occasionally.

Just a warning, I usually get a little cyano shortly after dosing nitrate using Spectracide Stump Remover. It disappears after a few days, but pretty inconvenient.

I don't think it's a great idea to dose large amounts of nitrate at a time, because this might brown out your corals.

I have been dosing it for some time just not using a dolution. And yes, I have seen cyano, but the color of my acros is worth it.

Back