Cannot remove copper from DT

SaundersDVM

I have been dealing with a copper issue in my display tank (Red Sea Reefer 650 G2, 165 gallons) for months. I was putting all of my fish through quarantine (Copper Power for 14 days, immediately moved into a new QT, then treated with metro and prazi for another 14 days). I ended up getting crypto in my DT anyway. So, rather than lose all of my fish, I decided to treat my DT with copper. I kept the copper between 2.3ppm and 2.5ppm (using the Hanna Checker) for approximately 2 months, then started to drop the levels with water changes. I got the level down to approximately 0.2ppm over 3 months with only doing water changes. At that time, the level was fluctuating between 0.12ppm to 0.25ppm. I added a Versa Pump and started doing 3-gallon daily auto water changes (that was always the plan before). Then, I added 500ml Cuprisorb to a bag in the sump. The copper seemed to be trending down over two weeks (though it never went below that fluctuation zone of 0.12ppm to 0.25ppm), and I added a pad of PolyFilter (attached to a powerhead) two weeks later. The copper went back up (again, all within that fluctuation zone) and then continued to fluctuate. A month later, still no progress. The Cuprisorb looked the same color as when I first added it. The PolyFilter looked greenish brown, though I wonder if that is just from organic matter and things getting caught in it, or algae growing in it. At that time, I added the Cuprisorb and PolyFilter to a BRS media reactor with a pump and placed that in the sump. I then increased the water changes to 9 gallons daily. Two weeks later, still no progress. I replaced the PolyFilter, but left the original Cuprisorb, as there was still zero color change that I could see. It has been a week since I changed the PolyFilter. I tested the water today and saw 0.2ppm copper. What am I doing wrong? Is there a way to get rid of this copper? I have all the same rock in the tank, but it is way too much rock (and I spent too long creating the aquascape) to start over with new rock. At this point, I am tempted to buy a few crabs and corals, just to see how they do. As a side question, do you guys have a preferred place to buy pre quarantined fish, inverts, and corals? After my failure with quarantine, I’m not sure I want to try again if I ever start a new tank.

I have been dealing with a copper issue in my display tank (Red Sea Reefer 650 G2, 165 gallons) for months. I was putting all of my fish through quarantine (Copper Power for 14 days, immediately moved into a new QT, then treated with metro and prazi for another 14 days). I ended up getting crypto in my DT anyway. So, rather than lose all of my fish, I decided to treat my DT with copper. I kept the copper between 2.3ppm and 2.5ppm (using the Hanna Checker) for approximately 2 months, then started to drop the levels with water changes. I got the level down to approximately 0.2ppm over 3 months with only doing water changes. At that time, the level was fluctuating between 0.12ppm to 0.25ppm. I added a Versa Pump and started doing 3-gallon daily auto water changes (that was always the plan before). Then, I added 500ml Cuprisorb to a bag in the sump. The copper seemed to be trending down over two weeks (though it never went below that fluctuation zone of 0.12ppm to 0.25ppm), and I added a pad of PolyFilter (attached to a powerhead) two weeks later. The copper went back up (again, all within that fluctuation zone) and then continued to fluctuate. A month later, still no progress. The Cuprisorb looked the same color as when I first added it. The PolyFilter looked greenish brown, though I wonder if that is just from organic matter and things getting caught in it, or algae growing in it. At that time, I added the Cuprisorb and PolyFilter to a BRS media reactor with a pump and placed that in the sump. I then increased the water changes to 9 gallons daily. Two weeks later, still no progress. I replaced the PolyFilter, but left the original Cuprisorb, as there was still zero color change that I could see. It has been a week since I changed the PolyFilter. I tested the water today and saw 0.2ppm copper. What am I doing wrong? Is there a way to get rid of this copper? I have all the same rock in the tank, but it is way too much rock (and I spent too long creating the aquascape) to start over with new rock. At this point, I am tempted to buy a few crabs and corals, just to see how they do. As a side question, do you guys have a preferred place to buy pre quarantined fish, inverts, and corals? After my failure with quarantine, I’m not sure I want to try again if I ever start a new tank.
I can't remember where I saw it but copper power is allegedly difficult to get out of rocks and takes several months of doing what you are doing. Might have been @HumbleFish who said it.

I can’t help much more than what you’ve done. But I’ve heard @Dr. Reef quarantined fish is a great place to get pre-quarantined fish.

Back