Canon Macro Lens

Fringe09

Do any of you take pictures of your aquarium using a macro lens? Specifically the Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L IS?

I'm thinking about renting one to test. My camera body is a 40D which is old but hopefully decent enough.

Save your $$ by getting the none IS (Image Stabilizer) version. You will need a tripod for macro shots anyway.

Save your $$ by getting the none IS (Image Stabilizer) version. You will need a tripod for macro shots anyway.

Thanks for the idea. Tripod for sure.

If I purchase an L lens, it only comes with IS. non-L does have a non-IS version. Price difference is around $250.

I currently own the Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS which is a great general purpose camera. Goal is to sell that one and buy this one.

The 100mm 2.8L has been a game changer for my coral photography. I handheld shoot all my pictures so Image Stabilization is an absolute must. No tripod. Look at my previous posts for picture examples

The 100mm 2.8L has been a game changer for my coral photography. I handheld shoot all my pictures so Image Stabilization is an absolute must. No tripod. Look at my previous posts for picture examples

I went through some of your posts. Pictures look awesome.

What do you do about glare and reflection? I did some searching and ended up finding a rubber lens hood on Amazon for $8.

I went through some of your posts. Pictures look awesome.

What do you do about glare and reflection? I did some searching and ended up finding a rubber lens hood on Amazon for $8.

I use the camera tube from Building an Obsession.
Only way to get the super clear shots underwater.
If you're shooting through glass, you need to have the camera lens pretty much pressed against the glass so it's flat otherwise you'll get distortions.

I use the camera tube from Building an Obsession.
Only way to get the super clear shots underwater.
If you're shooting through glass, you need to have the camera lens pretty much pressed against the glass so it's flat otherwise you'll get distortions.

I haven't even thought about shooting underwater. Is this what you have?

https://buildinganobsession.com/shop/camera-tube

So the body of the camera stays out, while the lens gets submerged?

I haven't even thought about shooting underwater. Is this what you have?

https://buildinganobsession.com/shop/camera-tube

So the body of the camera stays out, while the lens gets submerged?

I use this one. Same concept. Yes the body of the camera stays out of the water. It's just all about getting a flat viewing surface under the water.

https://buildinganobsession.com/shop/camera-tube-pro

It was hard for me to drop $$$ for the L lens and a camera tube, but after using them for awhile my purchase was 100% justified. You just cant beat the quality.

I've messed around with macro tube extensions for my other lenses and it's just not the same as a dedicated macro lens.

I use a Canon 80D.
The body doesn't matter as much as the lens does.
You could be using a super old Rebel XT with the 100mm 2.8L and still get fantastic shots.

If you don't want to drop too much money on the camera tube, you could try using an acrylic viewing box. Like the ones you see at your LFS to view corals from top down. You just wont be able to get as close to your subject since those boxes are usually pretty shallow. Don't want to be getting your new expensive lens wet lol

I have the Canon macro lens. You are welcome to come down and play with it. I'm in Encino.

I also have the lens tube to shoot through the surface.

Dave B

You don't even need auto-focus let alone image image stabilization.

Tripod, remote shutter release and lens extension tubes are what you will want.

Do any of you take pictures of your aquarium using a macro lens? Specifically the Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L IS?

I'm thinking about renting one to test. My camera body is a 40D which is old but hopefully decent enough.

I use the canon 100mm macro lens. I have the 6D mark II, and I don't use a tripod. Still works decently.
c041a119b4c92f981209b1ff35f5d3b7.jpg
94d21634c6ca5da5d5102d32dfa95efe.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I actually have a canon 2.8 macro lens I dont use. Message me if you're interested.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Back