Chelate gnathopods: common or uncommon?

belgin

I'm curious because I thought for a while now that I had some sort of tiny crab living in my sand, because I sometimes see a tiny water bubble in the sand by the glass and two sand-colored or semi-transparent crablike claws a mm or three long pick something (probably algae) from the grains of sand and pull it back towards a body and presumably mouth I can't see. Sometimes it picks up the whole grain. Almost all I ever see is the claws engaged in the sort of activity my emerald crab might engage in on the rocks.

This activity usually occurs a few mm to maybe 2 cm down in the sandbed. After reading the amphipod article, I'm wondering if it might be an amphipod species with a chelate gnathopod instead. (Most of the ones I see are of the standard 'gammarus' look hanging around my rubble pile, but I have at least one species of what looks like an isopod in there, too.) The 'claws' were the same general shape as the chelates in your article, but I only ever see one or two of them and maybe another leg bracing against something.

Hi,

My guess would be that the animal is a tanaid. They are not too uncommon in reef tanks. See here for some information about them including some pictures.

These animals are related distantly to amphipods, but they have good chelate appendages. :D

Back