Chiller opinions

fodder

Premium Member
Greetings all...
Do many of you run a chiller during the summer months? It isn't really hot yet and my tank temp is approaching the danger zone. During the day, the temp hovers around 81.5 and I am getting concerned.

I know that I don't have the most energy efficient setup, so am I debating about replacing some of the components (lights first - now running 250w MH plus 4 HO T5s - looking at going LED). However if I am going to have to spend the money and buy a chiller anyway, need to factor that in.

Thanks.

What the danger zone? I have run tanks in the past at 84 in the summer months without any issues

fodder,

In the past when I had my 250 watt MH. I had a temp controller with several large fans to cool off water on a needed bases. I sent controller to turn on fans about 78. It ran about every 40 minutes for about an hour. Down side, I was adding 1.5 gallons per day on a 90gallon tank to account for evaporation.

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_viewi...tent=WB13151&gclid=CKaXjcXawcQCFUlp7AodGC0AHA

I went with a JBJ 1/3 chiller as a back up and when I upgraded to 210 gallon. Now with my LEDs I have not heard the chiller kick in. I lower the tem just to hear it start up and make sure it works.

One thing I will say about a chiller that I found out the hard way in a fl summer (95 degree day)day with no power is that fans can go a long way. 3 years ago I lost power for 5 hours do to a blown transformer. With in 40 -50 minute house inside temp hit 85. 1 1/2 later tank was at 82 house was 88. I have a battery air pump that I used and it worked great but nothing to cool tank. I had the old fan setup from the 90 and set it up on the 210 and to my surprise running it on small dc inverter and all windows open for about an to kept tank 82. I also plugged in power head and pointed up. I had all 3 Honeywell turbo fans on full power.

Hope this helps.

my tank runs about 4 degrees over ambient room temperature.

I have the house 78 during the day and 75 during the night.
The tank goes down to 79.1 before my heater kicks on (only kicks on slightly once or twice a night for a few minutes)
The chiller kicks on at 80.2 and cools my tank down to 79.2 - it has been running twice per day.

I'm using all external pumps and LEDs inside of a canopy- so the heat in the room may be from the numerous computers I leave running 24/7 or it's bleeding through from ballasts and LED electronics and such.

I'm working on getting fans for inside the canopy to see if that alleviates the 4 degrees over room temp.

I like to let me tanks run very close to the ambient temperature. Why? because it changes with the seasons and changes slowly just like in nature. This gives enough time for corals to acclimate and also give me a buffer in case of equipment failure.

What people do not realize is that corals need a lot of time to acclimate to new temperatures and fast changes in temperature can wipe your tank really fast. What happens if you are out on a summer day and chiller fails? same if a heater fails in the winter? You might lose all your corals

Thanks for the opinions...

I've always read/been told that anything over 83 or so on a consistent basis is bad for the corals, also causes significant algae bloom.

Anyway, I think I'll try the fans and see what happens - would be much more comfortable with a consistent 79ish. I'm sure I'll ending up replacing the lights in fairly short order as well :D just have to convince the wife I "need" to spend $750 on the Radions.

I like to let me tanks run very close to the ambient temperature. Why? because it changes with the seasons and changes slowly just like in nature. This gives enough time for corals to acclimate and also give me a buffer in case of equipment failure.

Not sure where you live in Florida, I cannot believe you do not run an AC in your house. If you run AC and it fails, its the same difference.

But if you have AC and a chiller.

If you lose the chiller, you can crank down the AC.
If you lose the AC, and have the right size chiller, you be fine.

If you do get a chiller, get a drop in chiller.
No need to worry about cleaning the lines or worry about a pump for it.
So easy remove for any maintenance.

Get a Tradewind Chiller, I believed them to be the best, 5 years warranty on them.

Last edited:
Not sure where you live in Florida, I cannot believe you do not run an AC in your house. If you run AC and it fails, its the same difference.

But if you have AC and a chiller.

If you lose the chiller, you can crank down the AC.
If you lose the AC, and have the right size chiller, you be fine.

If you do get a chiller, get a drop in chiller.
No need to worry about cleaning the lines or worry about a the pump for it. So easy remove for any maintenance.

Get a Tradewind Chiller, I believed them to be the best, 5 years warranty on them.

It is good to have redundancy and I agree with you. But even with the AC, which I am keeping at 78 during the day, the tank will run higher than that. My point is that my approach is not to have consistent temperature (i.e 78) all year round. I like to let it fluctuate.
I will probably end up getting a chiller (and like your chiller suggestion) as a backup in case the ac fails. It will kick in around 85-86 and bring the temp down only a couple degrees.

This is just what I do and has worked for me but as we all know there are many different ways to approach different aspects of this hobby.

I always like redundancy and but your right this hobby can go in different ways.

One thing for sure, I don not want to be one of those horror stories, my AC failed, lost main pump or even power loss and not have a backup plan.

This hobby is stressful enough when you even do the right things.

The tank temps will like 2-4 deg from your house temps, depending on some factors.
Every tank will be sightly different.

I have never had a problem with my tank getting too hot, possibly because the house stays at 74 all day. Backup plan however, I have a portable air conditioner than cranks down to 60 so if ac unit takes a crap that is sufficient because the tank is in my bedroom. If the power fails I have a generator to power the essentials.

Fans cause a lot of extra evaporation and humidity in the house. They do work though. If you are maxing at 81.5 when you switch to LED if you do you will not need a chiller unless its an emergency.

Back