Chiller repair?

Chiller repair?

Usually HVAC guys won't touch such small system it's not worth their time reason why. I tried looking for one around my area and all they say is just but a new one. Go figure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I agree. Not sure what size yours is but I am sure you could get a good used one here for less then the cost to repair yours.
I do auto AC. Your chiller prob runs R22 which is hard to come by anymore. Then someone has to braze in a pair of service ports just to be able to check Freon amounts. The every manufacture runs different pressures which are not easy to find. Next problem is parts!!! where do you find the right parts. Not saying it cant be done but if you can find a used one for say 100$ I doubt you could get your fixed for less.

What is it doing? Does it run at all? does it cool at all?

Lol. It will be R134a most likely unless it is pretty old.
No offense but fish geeks are cheap ...es and nobody wants to work for free.
A marginal hvac guy would be able to work on it but most are scared for some reason because its water instead of air.
That marginal guy should now how to charge properly and realize aquarium chiller manufacturers tell people to do it wrong. Just do it the way you should have learned in schoool and everything will be better than recommended.
Maybe stating where local is might help as well.

Oh ...and yes it runs. It actually managed to dropthe tank one degree - it's a 1/15 on a 10G so I was hoping it's just a freon issue. Then again, it shouldn't REALLY EVER leak freon. You'll never get get an argument out of me when you say reef geeks are cheap! But i don't expect anyone to work for free. I'd pay a guy for his time on the diagnosis and go from there. I have 2 other chillers that run but don't cool I'd like looked at to see if they are worth the time and $. I was sort of hoping there would be a local RC member with the proper knowledge who might read of my plight. Anone wanna buy some chillers for parts?(LOL)

You can usually get a 1/15 use for around 100-150

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have an older one and it takes R22 and no service ports. Kind of shocked to see them running 134A but then again I have never messed with a newer one.

R22 has been banned in the USA for many years so they had to change.
If it has ports and isn't a high dollar chiller I say someone has already cut into it.

Back