Clam ID please?

Timfish

Timfish
Premium Member
I posted this in the mollusk forum and haven't gotten any feedback as to specific genus or species so I thought I'd try this one. Does anybody know the species of these clams? The parents showed up as juviniles smaller than the baby on some live rock about 12 years ago. The baby showed up in the sump last fall. Last additions of anything with a substrate was 5 or 6 years ago

Attachments

• Clam Trio TFC.jpg
    Clam Trio TFC.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 3
Figured an update is way over due. Still don't know the species of the clams in my first post as the common name pulls up something completely different. Over the years since then I've found baby clams of three other species. Only one I've been able to identify (admitidly I didn't spend a lot of time going down rabbit holes).

Jewel Box Clam, Arcinella arcinella
Jewel Box Clam.jpg

I've ended up with three baby "Turkey Wing" clams over a decade. One stayed hidden for quite awhile under a T. squamosa. Unfortunately all the juvinile and a couple of adults were lost during covid when some lysol over spray was getting into the system.

Baby Turkey Wing Clam on Squammosa.jpg

Found these when I was moving a system. In addition to these on this filter there were a couple dozen of various sizes on the back and undersides of rock.
Clam Unkown.jpg

This find was pretty sad. When moving a system some of the rubble in the sump was put in an empty bucket. Later this clam was found attached to an old piece of candy cane skeleton but it had already died. :(
baby calm _20221211_165932250.jpg

Back