just got this. name?

Attachments

• clam1.jpg
    clam1.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 1
  • clam2.jpg
    clam2.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 1
can you post pictures of his shell and his mouth? need more info to make accurate id.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

just got this. name?
Hard to say is the shell smooth if so my bets on derasa ;) if not rule that out. If that's fully open maybe a Maxima since they don't open quite as fully as others but without more pics it's hard to be sure. Squamous will grow much faster than maximas in general so if it's larger than 3-4" that's a decent chance. Maximas and squamous are hard to distinguish to me but other more knowledgeable reefers can probably spot the difference a mile off. Crocea is the least common around here but are usually easier to rule out since their usually in rock or have a half smooth shell from being removed and if not are more pointed and triangle looking.
Just my opinion from researching before I bought my clam ;) lfs around here arnt to educated so we have to be , or get burned lol.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Definitely a derasa. I haven't seen very many with the spots in quite a while. That's a very nice looking clam.
Really?!! I'm impressed if you can tell from that pic. May I ask how you made that id to educate myself? I've seen similar pattern on maximas and squamous too.

Really?!! I'm impressed if you can tell from that pic. May I ask how you made that id to educate myself? I've seen similar pattern on maximas and squamous too.

I'm certainly no expert but i have seen hundreds if not thousands of clams over the last 25 years of reefing and I can just recognize them most of the time. The blue green lip that turns into gold and then the pinkish body with the striping is classic derasa. Those blue spots were often seen on derasas years ago but you don't see them very often anymore. I also found one recently so maybe they are becoming available again. I think they were originally from the Solomon islands/Tonga but I'm sure they are farmed now. Also, while it's true that a smooth shell is most often a characteristic of derasas, they can have scutes on the shell. Mine has them similar to a squamosa.

I'm certainly no expert but i have seen hundreds if not thousands of clams over the last 25 years of reefing and I can just recognize them most of the time. The blue green lip that turns into gold and then the pinkish body with the striping is classic derasa. Those blue spots were often seen on derasas years ago but you don't see them very often anymore. I also found one recently so maybe they are becoming available again. I think they were originally from the Solomon islands/Tonga but I'm sure they are farmed now. Also, while it's true that a smooth shell is most often a characteristic of derasas, they can have scutes on the shell. Mine has them similar to a squamosa.
Thanks!!! Good to know, thought all dursa were smooth [emoji54] I also thought I had a clam safe tank when I got my first one tho so there's always something to learn. Do you have any pics of the dursa that looks like a squamous that would be awesome to see?

Thanks!!! Good to know, thought all dursa were smooth [emoji54] I also thought I had a clam safe tank when I got my first one tho so there's always something to learn. Do you have any pics of the dursa that looks like a squamous that would be awesome to see?

It's hard to get a good picture of it but hopefully you can see the shell.

c7920670ffa2a7fafc33393a2e152e72.jpg

A picture of all of my current clams.

3fff3bb7869a5a7a788440155ef5c8d9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't sell them but we have a couple of very good stores that carry quality clams in the area. I could check to see what they have in stock currently and get back with you.

Back