Cobalt Aquatics 50w Neo-therm heater fail

K-Dubbs

Just wanted to share with others the issue I had with my neo-therm heater for my 10g nuvo aquarium.

I have had the heater running for about a month. Only long enough for the cycle and have added my two clownfish. Luckily hadn't added any corals yet.

I had actually done a tank parameter test and recording before I left to visit the LFS as I was going to get my first coral frags for the tank. The tank was sitting steady at 80 degrees F. When I got back a few hours later, the tank had dropped to 70 degrees F. I put my hand against the heater and it felt cold, the temp was still lit up on the LED flashing that the tank was reading 70, and the temp that was still showing it was set to 78 as the solid LED for temp setting.

Until this point I had no issues with the heater, I loved the form factor and how it was so thin, it fit well into the back return compartment of my tank well and was holding a constant 80.

I quickly got my extra heater that I use for mixing new saltwater into the tank, then started to research the heater some more. Apparently I am not the first to have this issue. I thought I was safe because the heater had such good reviews, but now that I did some more google searches I have found some more of the same issues, and some other issues as well.

One review said that cobalt aquatics told them to unplug it for 30 min and plug back in to reset. I tried this and after 15 min it still did not create any heat.

I have now ordered a different heater to replace it, but wanted to share the issue with others in case they may be thinking about using this heater as well.

Note: The fish are fine and the tank is back up to proper temp. Hopefully they didn't get stressed out too much.

Back