Collecting in Tampa Area

daninflipflops

First off i am aware of all the current FWC rules/regulations. so lets get that out of the way :)

Have any of you guys had any luck collecting in our local waters? I plan on starting in a few weeks. In the past when i have been diving near the Skyway Bridge for stone crabs i have noticed some shrimp, crabs, sponges, macro, snails, hermits, and the occasional colorful fish. I have enjoyed watching them, but have never tried to collect since i was there for the stone crabs and didnt have any collecting gear. Quite a few times i have seen some small butterfly fish, but not sure which type it is. most are not reef safe i understand, any of the Florida native ones?

anyway, any tips or locations would be great if willing to share!

The Skyway causeway north (St.Pete side) Go thru toll and exit (right lane) to turn around, Follow road around then pull over anywhere at beach areas and push your net through grass patches and Enjoy.

thanks for the info, what type of animals are you typically getting when you net throught he grass? i have seen a lot of nice sponges, macro and some fish out at the Skyway in all the rocks that line both sides. Its nice because its really shallow and most of the rocks are pretty large, so i think can have some success netting fish. I have seen nice species.

In the Grass flats there are pipe fish, Blennies, Gobies, shrimp. Hermits, snails. tons of baby fish. I wouldn't trust putting any sponges from there in any tank, I did that years ago and killed the whole tank. Including a Panther grouper and large Damsels.

what do you think the issue with the sponge was? i know they are hard to keep alive from collecting to the tank since they have to stay submerged.

Have you ever gone out to the beach after a big storm, when the sponges wash up ont eh beach, if you open them up you will find a lot of different types of crabs.

Don't know really what happened, but It fouled the tank and killed everything. Maybe pollutants from the channel. I know I'll never do that again. There are plenty of crabs around there too. Watch out for the Stingrays while your out there.

thats interesting, guess i never heard of a sponge taking out a tank. but i guess its better to be safe. the only ones i was thinking of getting anyway would be the small yellow ones that are usually about an inch in diameter or so. if i find one i really like i can always just toss it in quarantine and watch it.

Ever get any fancy shrimp in the grass flats? all i have ever caught when fishing or saw when swimming is the brown gulf shrimps. havent seen any cleaners, banded, etc. i have seen them sometimes in the rocks though

what do you think the issue with the sponge was? i know they are hard to keep alive from collecting to the tank since they have to stay submerged.

Even with a successful transfer, keeping most sponges in our tanks is impractical because they require an incredible amount of plankton. Our tanks are simply too clean.

Went collecting in Bradenton yesterday. Got some cool crabs, gobies, flounder, caught a tiny sea robin but let it go, Hermits, some clear shrimp and brown ones. There is a place on the east coast I like to go (scuba) and collect too... nicer more colorful fish over there. and the banded coral shrimp and such.

Even with a successful transfer, keeping most sponges in our tanks is impractical because they require an incredible amount of plankton. Our tanks are simply too clean.

+1 and a capful of bottled phyto a week isnt going to cut it.

Went collecting in Bradenton yesterday. Got some cool crabs, gobies, flounder, caught a tiny sea robin but let it go, Hermits, some clear shrimp and brown ones. There is a place on the east coast I like to go (scuba) and collect too... nicer more colorful fish over there. and the banded coral shrimp and such.

what kind of crabs did you get? last time i was out a few weeks ago, i was flipping over rocks and found some type of small crab, but didnt keep it. also plenty of small crabs crawling on the large sponges. didnt have a small net to get them though.

Back