Colt coral polyps (pic)

vessxpress1

Premium Member
I've had a couple nice colt corals in my tank for about 8 months now and now they're spreading. Then about a month ago, they went through a bleaching incident. I have no idea why. So I started feeding them well, in hopes they would come back. They got very white.
Then the color has started coming back during the last few weeks and now they look great again. I thought I was going to lose them.
Anyway, I was feeding a mixture of good stuff today and I noticed the polyps on the thing were wide open. Maybe this is common but I can't ever remember seeing the polyps this wide open on them. Just thought I'd share:

coltcoral.jpg

Thanks hangles. I wish the pic would have turned out better. I think I got a little glare from the glass so it didn't show up as clear. The 'good stuff' was a mixture of reef chili and cyclopeeze so they were feasting.
Here's what they look like now, colored back up. The top halves were completely white a month ago.

coltcoral2002.jpg

coltcoral2001.jpg

The two were mounted on the same rock. I've had them in there since November. The base of the one on the left is a little bigger than a half dollar. The one on the right is dividing into 3 now. Despite the alveapora rubbing on it. I'd move the alv. but it's fused to rock and I don't want to damage it. There's a large bubble algae growing (only one I've seen in the tank) next to the one on the right. Two of them have attached to it and are starting to over-grow it. Don't know what will happen there.

I just got my reef chili in the mail today and plan on feeding the tank tonight, I use cyclopeeze currently.

How do you like the reef chili does it live up to the hype???

I love Reef Chili. I haven't been using it for very long but the immediate results were suprising. Some of my soft corals really came to life when that stuff hit the water. One I had just bought a week ago and would not extend polyps at all. 5 minutes after adding that to the water, they were all out. The extension on the polyps is incredible too. Some of them almost look like they're over-extending compared to normal. I have a devil's hand that's been used and abused, stung by an anemone and moved all over the tank and it looked bad for a long time. Very pale. I was about ready to get rid of it but it still showed signs of life. Ever since I started using this stuff, MANY more polys are out on the thing every day and it's brown/peach color has really came back and I even think it's grown a little. I mean, I didn't do a scientific test with this but the come back coincided with me beginning to use the RC. Check out the first pic in the thread. The colt's seem to like it a lot too. It also makes my candy cane's extend sweepers almost immediately. I mixed it with some fish food but my fish didn't seem to care for it. That's ok, I didn't want to waste it on them anyway.
I use many different foods so I don't just swear by Reef Chili. I prefer to mix different things together once in a while like DTs, Reef Chili and Cyclopeeze would be one combo. I mix it up and target feed with that and feel reasonably confident I'm satisfying the requirments of most everything in the tank. You're also getting the best individual benefits of each food. I probably over-feed my tank but I haven't had an algae problem for a long time. Good luck with it.

Back