Continuous Culture

SweetJesus

In Memoriam
Dwayne,

I talked to you about the continuous culture idea. I was thinking a 10 gallon, drilled in the bottom with a duroso stand pipe, and then run the drip off the 25 UV sterilizer. Meanwhile having a doser dose one ml of fertilizer a day. Wondering if you could give me some ideas if I was going in the right direction. Small powerhead to move water? How slow of a drip would I need? ETC ETC

Re: Continuous Culture

Comments below.

I was thinking a 10 gallon, drilled in the bottom with a duroso stand pipe, and then run the drip off the 25 UV sterilizer.

Not sure I understand the need for the Durso piece. But, yes you could draw water from an existing tank. If the UV sterilizer is sufficient to properly sterilize the water is dependent on the quality of the water prior to the sterilizer, the quality of the sterilizer, flow rate, and several other varying factors.

Meanwhile having a doser dose one ml of fertilizer a day.

I never tried a doser for applying fertilizer. The amount of fertilizer needed would be dependent on rate of usage. There would need to be sufficient time for the fertilizer to be 'used' before being exported to the tank.

Wondering if you could give me some ideas if I was going in the right direction. Small powerhead to move water? How slow of a drip would I need? ETC ETC

Sure, go for it. Build the system and give it a whirl on a pseudo tank. Look at the final product (quality and quantity) being dumped into the pseudo tank and make the decision if this is something you would put in your real tank. If so, try it on your tank.

IMO - The idea of continuous feeding is an intriguing idea and a relatively new pursuit for hobbyist. There will be many ways that work and many many more that don't work. Just as our tanks are different some from one another, our needs to feed them will be equally different.

Dwayne

Back