Coral Reef Benefits

bigfish14

I am writing my final paper for one of my classes about why people should be concerned with the depletion of coral reefs. I have found quite a bit of info already, but I would love some help. I am focusing on the fact that coral reefs benefit people in more ways than they know. Does anyone know of any articles on this subject? Any links would be great.

Quickly, some main points of research:

Phytoplankton contributes more atmospheric Oxygen than all rainforests combined. Coral Reefs are vital to phytoplankton lifecycle

Nursery for many fish species, including many of which are vital to the fishing industry. Already rapidly declining species populations would be increasingly devastated by the continued loss of coral reefs around the world ...

Thanks for the help. I didn't know about the phytoplankton fact, but that is an awesome point that I will use

Sharks, which species are rapidly declining across the World, are an excellent barometer for Coral Reef Health as they are the apex predator in a complex food web formed within and around the Coral Reef

If the base of this food web is dwindling/incomplete the Apex Predator is greatly affected. This is why you see many of the pristine, remotely located atoll reef systems have thriving, ever present Shark Populations

Sadly, much of this decline is caused DIRECTLY by **** sapiens. Its not exactly a politically correct statement but in all honesty:

OUR SPECIES IS A VIRUS. One that reproduces rapidly, and at an extent in which all available resources are consumed, with utter disregard to their sustainability, until there is nothing left to consume. The waste/byproducts of this is uncomprehensible ...

Back