Coral Spotlight | Goniopora

mikejrice

Flowerpot Corals: A Guide to Keeping and Nurturing​

So, you've caught the coral bug, and your eyes are set on the mesmerizing world of flowerpot corals. Also known as daisy coral or ball coral, these creatures add a burst of color and elegance to any marine tank. But let's face it, they aren't your run-of-the-mill aquarium buddies. This ain't child's play – we're talking about the real MVPs of the coral kingdom. Buckle up, coral enthusiasts, because we're about to dive deep into the care and keeping of these finicky yet fascinating underwater wonders.

The Scoop on Common Names: Flowerpot, Daisy, Ball Coral​

Before we embark on this coral adventure, let's get our terminology straight. Known by various monikers, such as flowerpot coral, daisy coral, and ball coral, these beauties come with a reputation for being both captivating and a tad high-maintenance. Now that we've got our introductions sorted, let's explore the nitty-gritty details that make these corals the talk of the town.

Decoding the Difficulty Level​

Here's the lowdown – flowerpot corals aren't for the faint of heart. They come with a difficulty level that separates the pros from the rookies in the aquarium game. Most species of goniopora, the scientific name for these charismatic creatures, are notorious for being a handful in captivity. However, fear not, fellow aquarists, for there's a glimmer of hope. Recent discoveries have pinpointed specific species that are a tad more forgiving. Enter the red gonioporas, the rebels of the coral clan, making them the ideal candidates for your underwater spectacle.

The Feeding Frenzy: A Key to Coral Happiness​

Let's talk grub, shall we? Maintaining the happiness of your flowerpot coral involves a delicate dance of dietary delights. These sensitive souls thrive on a menu that includes baby brine, rotifers, and the creme de la creme – oyster eggs. It's like a Michelin-starred feast for our underwater friends. To ensure your corals are getting the VIP treatment, spot feeding is the way to go. Picture this: a tiny container suspended over them, creating an intimate dining experience for your precious corals. Talk about the height of underwater sophistication!

Shedding Light on Lighting Requirements​

In the world of flowerpot corals, it's not just about aesthetics; it's about the right ambiance. Most species fall in love with medium to high light, but there's a catch – light acclimation is their jam. It's like preparing for a tropical vacation; they need time to adjust to the dazzling lights of their underwater paradise. So, when setting up their dream home, make sure you've got the lighting game on point.

The Flow of Life: Water Flow Tips​

Just like a gentle breeze on a summer day, flowerpot corals prefer a moderate alternating flow. It's the Goldilocks zone for these marine wonders – not too much, not too little, just right. Create an underwater symphony of currents, and watch your corals sway and dance in the gentle ebb and flow of their aquatic haven.

Choosing the Right Spot: It's All About Location, Location, Location​

When it comes to real estate in coral world, it's prime location or bust. Goniopora, with its long, flowing tentacles, needs its space. Picture a coral with a "Do Not Disturb" sign – that's the vibe we're going for. Give them room to shine, ensuring they don't rub elbows with rocks or other corals. It's all about that solo spotlight for our flowerpot friends.

The General 411: Not for the Faint of Heart​

Let's be real – flowerpot corals aren't your average Joe's aquarium buddies. They're the rockstars of the underwater world, but with great charisma comes great responsibility. This isn't a starter pack for hobbyists; it's the VIP lounge for the experienced few. Goniopora and its cousin alveopora are easily recognizable by the number of small tentacles at the end of each arm. Goni typically flaunts 24, while alveopora keeps it modest with 12.
In conclusion, if you're up for the challenge and ready to elevate your aquarium game, flowerpot corals might just be the aquatic companions you've been searching for. Just remember, it's not a sprint; it's a marathon. So, dive in, embrace the underwater extravagance, and watch as your coral kingdom becomes the envy of every underwater aficionado in the neighborhood. Happy reefing!

Last edited:
Here's a really nice mint green variation of goniopora. It's nice to see so many frags of these coming through as opposed to the classic green colonies we used to see more of. So many new colors to see.
16fdd6351c6a2c776916984447ac662e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

My favorite coral that I had in my previous collection was a purple encrusting goniopora. It was absolutely beautiful, and a surprisingly fast growing specimen.

My favorite coral that I had in my previous collection was a purple encrusting goniopora. It was absolutely beautiful, and a surprisingly fast growing specimen.
I had one of those and I agree it was one of my favorites.

I had one of those and I agree it was one of my favorites.
Unfortunately, I lost everything in an ice storm. Power was out for a week, and I didn’t have any DC pumps or heaters, so no battery backup. Now, I’m just getting things going again (ten years later)…not sure if I’ll find another goniopora quite like that one.

I had mine around the same time. It just showed up on some live rock I picked up. It was that old 54 corner I had. Put one RBTA in it and over the first year, the one turned into 20. One walked over the goni and it was gone.

I had mine around the same time. It just showed up on some live rock I picked up. It was that old 54 corner I had. Put one RBTA in it and over the first year, the one turned into 20. One walked over the goni and it was gone.
Yet another reason why I’ll never have anemones. ;)

Back