Coralife 32 LED Biocube questions

How long have you had your tank set up? Got any pics of the filter setup from the back?
This tank has only been setup 7 months. I unfortunately don't have access to take a picture of the back area, so I just sketched up a quick diagram on my phone to give you an idea. This is drawn as if you're looking at the back of the tank with chamber 1 on the left and 3 on the right.
ba705b8211599ebc074a54dc2b397772.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

This tank has only been setup 7 months. I unfortunately don't have access to take a picture of the back area, so I just sketched up a quick diagram on my phone to give you an idea. This is drawn as if you're looking at the back of the tank with chamber 1 on the left and 3 on the right.
ba705b8211599ebc074a54dc2b397772.jpg

So you're using a poly filter pad on top of the factory filter cartridge? And how often are you changing all this out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So you're using a poly filter pad on top of the factory filter cartridge? And how often are you changing all this out?

Also, did you remove the foam block going from chamber 2 to chamber 3?

Also, did you remove the foam block going from chamber 2 to chamber 3?

Yes I have the poly on top of the factory cartridge... It's basically just holding it up since there's no shelf on the top. I replace the filter floss and rinse everything else every week when I do a WC. I put new carbon in the bags about once a month. And yes, I still have the foam block in there :)

How is the skimmer working for you?

It's taking some time to dial it in correctly, but it's starting to make some good foam. There's no bioload in the tank yet so no much to skim at the moment. I'll keep you updated on my progress with it

It's taking some time to dial it in correctly, but it's starting to make some good foam. There's no bioload in the tank yet so no much to skim at the moment. I'll keep you updated on my progress with it

Success! Making nice foam and starting to pull stuff out.

61120e8ef9a8ce7efcef7d93aab89202.jpg

Also, looking for some constructive criticism on my aquascaping. The goal was to build it higher in the back, and leave a good open area in the sand up front. There's openings for smaller fish to swim through, and not too crowded. What do y'all think?

f73346188766af9417b8ae5cb04121e0.jpg

e8856ecc8f98a3179483ee2ec1383588.jpg

b06a5b6fc784f0b887df87c229d85813.jpg

c6323f4495f7532859472151d9ae4220.jpg

Success! Making nice foam and starting to pull stuff out.

61120e8ef9a8ce7efcef7d93aab89202.jpg

What are the squares of double sided tape (I think) on top of the skimmer cup for? Is it to prevent the cup from coming of or vibrations from touching the lid?

What are the squares of double sided tape (I think) on top of the skimmer cup for? Is it to prevent the cup from coming of or vibrations from touching the lid?

I added those to add just enough height so the inside of the lid touches the skimmer and pushes it down, it tends to want to lean forward a bit using the mounting clip.

I added those to add just enough height so the inside of the lid touches the skimmer and pushes it down, it tends to want to lean forward a bit using the mounting clip.

Dabob79, you are running that extended neck on your skimmer, right?

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Dabob79, you are running that extended neck on your skimmer, right?

I am. I could have made it about a 1/4 inch longer so I wouldn't have to put all that two-sided tape on top of it, I may do that someday. For now it works great so I'm not messing with it lol

I am. I could have made it about a 1/4 inch longer so I wouldn't have to put all that two-sided tape on top of it, I may do that someday. For now it works great so I'm not messing with it lol

I went with a longer tube for the main body, and then fashioned an extension for the clip that holds it to the divider. I get about the same amount of height, but obviously I block more flow over the weir. On the plus side, my skimmate cup still sits flat on top of the black plastic top piece.
I get different amounts and consistencies depending on:
1. What I feed that day.
2. How much I stir up the sand/blow off the rocks.
3. How old my airstone is (I usually put a new one in monthly. I dry out the old ones and then take a rasp to them to clean them up. The "reconditioned ones seem to work as good or better than the new ones).
4. And obviously how I adjust the bubbles.

I've even had so much foam in the cup that it has pushed the top off. And I empty once a day concurrent to feeding and water change (I do a half gallon every day- keeps things very stable and fish and coral seem to like it that way).

32 biocube

32 biocube

very interesting post I also have the same tank. stevesleds are awesome. I was mad that I payed for fast shipping and he didn't mail them till 4 days after. kind of defeating the purpose of expedited shipping. The light end up costing me $400 or so with the hurricane controller. The lights are amazing and the controller is great. Light makes the tank worth the investment. Thanks to everyone for the skimmer advise good knowledge here.
Anthony

very interesting post I also have the same tank. stevesleds are awesome. I was mad that I payed for fast shipping and he didn't mail them till 4 days after. kind of defeating the purpose of expedited shipping. The light end up costing me $400 or so with the hurricane controller. The lights are amazing and the controller is great. Light makes the tank worth the investment. Thanks to everyone for the skimmer advise good knowledge here.

Anthony

I'm using the factory LEDs along with a ReefBar Pro 50/50 and ReefBar actinic from 21LEDSUSA. Paired the new LEDs with a Sunsetter controller and the whole setup looks great!

92160768018cecc1f1da691c2de1718f.jpg

c80ef444323ab81ca9da2b380263ca38.jpg

Here's the skimmed still doing its thing, the small mod I made works perfect!

8f4066542edd6d3f7abf5c27a74949e6.jpg

Back