coraline

scbasser5

I have noticed that in the last few weeks, the coraline algae on the back glass of my 150 has receded quite abit. It appears normal on the rocks and overflows, but almost gone on the glass. I hooked up my calcium reactor about the same time I noticed this. Is it possbile this is the cause? I wouldn't think so but don't have an idea why.

Can any body offer any comments.

Have you checked phosphates? I had a lot of corraline algae die off that I "thought" was explainable to another cause so I never checked phosphates. Checked, started running phosban, and now is coming back strong. At the same time my cheato stopped growing real fast and turned whitish almost like a precipitate on it.

I will check that today, I have not checked it in the past. I use only RO/DI water and do all the things that supposidley reduce phosphates. I have read where phosphates have leached from plastic containers used to store fw for make up but havent really been concerned. My water doesnt stay in there more than a week.

Thanks for the tip though, Iwill get a test kit as soon as lfs opens and check.

I just switched to a diffferent brand of Ca/ALk A and B and I have had the same issue with my coraline on the back of my tank. I wonder if the type of Alk supliment can make a difference?

well phosphates isnt the problem. phosphates are near zero.

The lfs tests show CA and dkh are way high. I reckon I need to turn down the calc. reactor.

Now I am really puzzled.

What do they say the alk and ca are? I've heard some strange beliefs out of LFS's though. Also, what is "near zero"? It doesn't take much since even when the test is 0 there can be tons of bound phosphates present.

CA at 520 and dkh 210. Their tests read differant than mine.

I am using the seachem CA test. I just ran a test with the known sample and it reads about 40 low. So my readings would be 450 if I add that to my normal readings. The differance is not as great. I may go to another lfs and ask them to check just to get another opinion.

Did they test for magnesium? Calcification including the coralline algae won't grow if that is low.

Back