Corals Disolving

Have got Ca and pH under control by adding the (2) part Ocean Blend once a week--Ca 80 ml and Alk 42 ml. But now a new problem exists which is hair algae that seems to be very slimey when removed by hand. It has started growing pretty rampant, but especially on back of glass. I have a lot of critters working on it but to no avail. What is the problem? Is it chemically related?

Here are all my readings:

sg----------------1.027
Temp------------ 79.4 deg
Photo Period--- 4 hrs
Lights------------ 440 watts (2) day and (2) actinic/3 months old
NO3-------------- 0/ppm
NO2-------------- 0/ppm
PO4-------------- 0/ppm
Ca---------------- 390 ppm
Alk---------------- 7.9 dKH
NH3/NH4-------- .014 ppm

Feed flake food---- (1) per day (very small amount)
DT's------------------ (1) per week (2) tbls
Froz Brine shrimp-- (1) per week (1/2 cube)
Pellets--------------- (2) per week
Nori------------------- (1) small strip each week

That sounds like cyanobacteria, but could be something else. Reducing nutrients (nitrate and especially phosphate), reducing organics (carbon,skimming, ozone), and increasing flow can help a lot. Antibiotic treatments can work as a last resort.

New development!!

Calcium went down this week from 400 to 295 ppm!

This week I have done the following:
1) 10% water change (8 gal)
2) 3 tbls of new cabon in sock
3) 2 gal of RO water top-off
4) Added (1) 4" Squamosa clam
5) Added (1) 6" H. Crispa anemone

Could all of this caused the drop?

Thanks...Denny

No other alkalinity additives have been added. An no to the equal parts of Ocean blend being added as I have been dosing each week 80 ml of Ca and only 40 ml of Alk. I have been doing this since I started this thread over (2) months ago and my reading have been great. I do appreciate your responsiveness as this has me at a loss as to what is happening.

Thanks Randy,

Denny

I don't see many ways that the calcium could have declined then. The possibilities include testing error, improper ratio of calcium to alkalinity in the Oceans Blend, or a water change with water far from NSW concentrations.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6504304#post6504304 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by farside
New development!!

Calcium went down this week from 400 to 295 ppm!

This week I have done the following:
1) 10% water change (8 gal)
2) 3 tbls of new cabon in sock
3) 2 gal of RO water top-off
4) Added (1) 4" Squamosa clam
5) Added (1) 6" H. Crispa anemone

Could all of this caused the drop?

Thanks...Denny
The Clam may increase Calcium consumption but not for such a drastic change, what was your Alkalinity and PH before and after the drop?

By the way the alk and dKH tests are by titrate using Salifert tests
and pH is by reading the chart color using the Red Sea test.

I do not like the Red Sea test at all, but I believe the salifert is the same way. Is there a pH test out there that can be titrated?

Thanks,
Denny

The parameters do not indicate precipitation. BTW has your PH always been on the low side? How certain are you of the PH measurment?

My pH has always been low using the Red Sea kit. I feel more comfortable titrating then using a comparison chart. No, I am not certain of the pH. I will go to Premium Aquatics today if you tell me what test kits I might buy that will give me an accurate reading of pH. Jeremy at Premium Aquatics in Indy has always been very helpful with my tank questions. Please advise!

Thanks...Denny

To build on Randy's recomendation I prefer a PH electronic meter as I have tried different chemical test kits and they were inaccurate.
Get a Monitor (Not a tester) so you can have continuous measurment. Jeremy has two Milwakee models and one Pin Pint models the three of them work well.
Do not forget to get some extra calibrtion solutions of PH7 and PH10, you need to calibrate the probe at the start up and then clean and calibrate about once a month.
Tell Jeremy Jose send his regards, and as an RC member he may give you some discount.

Back