coranation coral

MikeofIL

i have had my tank for just under a year now and I have ordered a coranation coral off liveaquaria.com I was wondering if anyone had any info or helpful tips, I know they need very low light and rather high current. But what should I feed it? I feed the tank regularly w/ DT's do i need to feed anything else?

Not to be rude but you should do research before you buy ... these corals have a 99% death rate and are some of the worst shippers.

If you want to salvage your mistake I suggest you read this entire thread

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=524097

They do not need low light and will do fine under medium light although light is nto needed

Look into Ultra Pack for food but also plan on your water quality going down the gutter trying to feed these things. You also should look into commercial shrimp larvae feed but this can be pricey.

Laminar flow should be provided for the corals to retrieve enough food from the water column

If you have a DSB I suggest you stir it daily as one of the only successful keeper of carnations for more then a year stirred his sand bed and thinks this is why they survived.

The only other success over 1 year was from a keeper using the Ultra Pack which mimics coral mucus and bacteria and is believed to be food of dendros and other non-photo corals.

welcome.gif

Dont get to discouraged if it doesnt make it, like reefnewbie said most of them die within a year, kinda sad, but who knows maybe you could be the guy to figure out how to keep one. Do however research before making any more purchases.

This book is a must have if you intend to keep corals and is a great resource for research. Bring it with you to the LFS.

Can you provide some basic info on your tank?

DT's is a great food, but not so much for corals. DT's is better for the zooplankton which in turn become food for coral. For corals I would recommend DT's oyster eggs, or frozen cyclopeeze. You could also make up someErics coral food for more diverse feeding.

A month or so ago I came home and there was one in my tank. My mom bought it cuz she thought it looked cool :rolleyes: . Anyway, I spot feed it phyto at night and keep it in a low light area. Seems to be doing good so far, crossing fingers...

P6080063.jpg

Back